RDC Help

MarkAcunaOffRoad

Reaction
Well, my dad and I just acquired a old piece of off road history. It is a Jeep Honcho race truck supposedly built by Walker Evans. It was built for Mike Garbino (not sure if that is spelled right). I was told it was black and yellow back in the day. We are trying to restore the truck as close as originally built...with a few up to date items. If anyone has information about this truck, please let me know.

Thanks in advance!

toolman

Reaction
we (bell concrete) owned the matching prerunner, and yes they were both built by walker evans for mike giribino sp

Mark Newhan

Reaction
Cool Vintage! Will you guys be racing it in the NORRA Mexican 1000?

Bryan_D

Reaction
Yes Bell is located off of basically 22nd ave between Shangri La and Desert Cove, literally right around the corner from Geisers. I loved those old Honchos as my dad helped with John Dykes class 4 in the late 80's. Al Baker of Baker 4x4 here in Phoenix was also involved and might have some info for you as well. Can you post some pics of the truck?

MarkAcunaOffRoad

Reaction
Not sure about the MEX 1000. My dad is still good friends with John Dyck and spoke with him just a few days ago...gave us Mike Guribino's name. I contacted Bell Concrete and spoke with Jerry Sterling. He gave me the run down on the truck: It was one of five built by Walker Evans for Roger Mears. It was then owned by Larry Casey who ran the Bud colors for awhile then switched to the purple La Paz Party Mix sponsor. It was then purchased by Mike Guribino (sp) who sold it to Jim Bell. Jim ran the truck with his sons then stopped because he was "done" and the sons decided not to keep it going...they now have a TT that runs the Maxxis Tire sponsor. Since the truck was just sitting in pieces, Jerry asked if he could put it back together for Jim so that Jim could either run it again or sell it. It was then sold to John Dyck who I think ran it while building his own Honcho. It was then sold to Andre Sapien who never really did anything with it except run it around town a little. Now we own it and are planning to rebuild/resurrect the truck!

I don't have photos right now, but will have some very soon!! Thanks to everyone for all the help!
I will keep you all updated once things start rolling...if anyone knows of any manufacturers/suppliers that might be willing to help with some of the parts, please send them my way or get me their information.

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
The Blue and yellow step side was Paul Prices. the Water Boy truck. Bell then painted it yellow and blue. i have Rodney Inches old jeep truck. long live the real heavy metal iron.
The second pick is Paul racing Pikes Peak in the truck.

Attachments

• JeepRallyTrucks.jpg
    JeepRallyTrucks.jpg
    28.6 KB · Views: 583
  • Jeepwinnfee pikes peak.jpg
    Jeepwinnfee pikes peak.jpg
    56.3 KB · Views: 383

toddz

Reaction
Yes Bell is located off of basically 22nd ave between Shangri La and Desert Cove, literally right around the corner from Geisers. I loved those old Honchos as my dad helped with John Dykes class 4 in the late 80's. Al Baker of Baker 4x4 here in Phoenix was also involved and might have some info for you as well. Can you post some pics of the truck?

Here are some shots I took of it in the carport in my 'hood in downtown Phx years ago. I guess this would've been when Andre? owned it. I used to cruise by on my bike for years and check it out. I noticed a few months ago that it was gone. Glad to hear it went to a good home.

Todd Z.

Attachments

• house 001.jpg
    house 001.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 560
  • house 002.jpg
    house 002.jpg
    114.4 KB · Views: 541
  • house 003.jpg
    house 003.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 557

Bryan_D

Reaction
That is the truck I rode around in while chasing for Jonnys team in the 80s with Al Baker, I would love to see this back to its original look. I would love to get one of these one day. Todd when you posted those pics a while back I believe I said the same thing... Closest I am getting at this point is my jeepspeed.

Oh and I know of a 401 that a guy is getting rid of out of a grand cherokee chief if the last one was taken out. Its a builder but the block and heads are supposedly good.

MarkAcunaOffRoad

Reaction
I'm pretty sure there is a 401 in it right now along with a TH400. We are going to have them gone through here soon. Just need to get some $$$ to get some of this stuff done! I think the blood bank is calling my name!

MarkAcunaOffRoad

Reaction
Here are a couple of pix of the truck so far. Everything is out getting rebuilt...engine, trans, seats and shocks. I'll post more when they come back.

Attachments

• Jeep2.jpg
    Jeep2.jpg
    164 KB · Views: 398
  • Jeep3.jpg
    Jeep3.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 409
  • Jeep1.jpg
    Jeep1.jpg
    154.2 KB · Views: 410

Class3Fan

Reaction
Greetings,
I saw your truck run at the Coors/USA Off Road Championship in southern Colorado on Sept. 12 and 13, 1981 (at a horse track that is now Pikes Peak International Raceway). All the big Honcho boys were there -- Roger Mears with two trucks, three Randall trucks (including the "funny car"), the "Water Boy" truck, Donohoe & Roberts, etc. I'm attaching two photos of your truck, one color, one black and white, sitting in the pits. I also have a handful of color slides of it running -- one looks pretty good through a loop -- that I hope to get scanned after Christmas (I've asked Santa for a slide scanner). I'll send them along as soon as I can.
I think I have the program from that race -- I'll look.

Attachments

• Girbino01.jpg
    Girbino01.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 390
  • Girbino02.jpg
    Girbino02.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 392

Class3Fan

Reaction
Hello again,
I've got a program from the "3rd Annual Coors Championships" at Colorado National Speedway in September 1982, and it has your driver's name spelled Mike Giurbino.

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
very cool. cant wait for the pics of the old iron. please post some of the Water Boy truck.

HDRA1

The Godfather
Reaction
here is a pic of your truck as the la paz party mixes truck
:D

R THOMAS

Reaction
hey mark, the honcho you bought is that the white one in the carport i stopped by one day and left a card to see if they would sell it they never called when i am on that side of town i still drive bye looking for it.i am looking for a old honcho to restore.

Class3Fan

Reaction
OK, here's a few snapshots of the Water Boy truck. All my race action is on 35mm slides -- hopefully Santa cooperates and brings me a slide scanner!

Attachments

• WaterBoy3.jpg
    WaterBoy3.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 343
  • WaterBoy4.jpg
    WaterBoy4.jpg
    142.6 KB · Views: 310
  • WaterBoy5.jpg
    WaterBoy5.jpg
    167 KB · Views: 338
  • WaterBoy6.jpg
    WaterBoy6.jpg
    150.2 KB · Views: 300

TROPHYSEDAN

Reaction
Very cool. Thanks for posting. man i wish i could find a step side bed for my truck.