RDC + Toyo = Dakar 2016

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
We have been a bit busy behind the scenes with our Dakar preparations so little got published on our Dakar plans for 2016.

Earlier this week I shipped my car out of Long Beach, California to go straight to Buenos Aires, Argentina. Our A.S.O. paperwork is mostly filed (deadline November 30th).
Our team this time around will be Ernesto Araiza @E. Araiza, myself and Adrian from Toyo tires.

We will start our coverage the moment we have boots on the ground (late December 2015).

Last year we concentrated mostly on introducing Dakar to our RDC audience and we showed things that most main stream sport media doesn't show you. This year we will continue right there with behind the scenes news and sights plus more of the sporting story.

We will check in with all the American Teams daily and share their statuses. Robby Gordon is obviously the guy most of us will be following and there will be plenty of that here on RDC and Planet Robby.

What did you like in 2015 worth repeating or what should we ad? We are still open for some ideas on improving our coverage.

IMG_5595.JPG

Last edited:

Offspring

Reaction
I really like how you portray how difficult it is for you to get from point A to point B, get stuff out, show the behind the scenes stuff, it really gives me perspective on how difficult the race actually is. Safe travels, can't wait for it to start. Will the 4runner get a new wrap this edition, any updates on how it's equipped that's different than last year? Will you just buy gear when you get there, or have you got a way to better secure it during the shipping?

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
I really like how you portray how difficult it is for you to get from point A to point B, get stuff out, show the behind the scenes stuff, it really gives me perspective on how difficult the race actually is. Safe travels, can't wait for it to start. Will the 4runner get a new wrap this edition, any updates on how it's equipped that's different than last year? Will you just buy gear when you get there, or have you got a way to better secure it during the shipping?

The 4Runner will get a new wrap. We have not designed that wrap yet and it will get applied in Argentina. We found a business that does work for Toyota of Argentina and worked out really good for us last time. Once we have a design we will post it.

The car is the same. The only changes are that I cleared some things behind the driver seat and the ARB refrigerator now moved a few inches further back. I can finally recline the seat fully without interferences. There is a 2-way radio installed in that car so we can better talk between handhelds when a guy walks into a gas station store "Hurry up...we are leaving in 2".

For tents we are using 3 second tents from OZ tents. I left some used camping gear in the car and in case nothing gets stolen enroute we shall use it. If not we re-stock as needed in Argentina.

For me the big one is how long it takes to ship my car. Its now 50 days before the event starts and last year the car wash't back until the week after the Mint. That makes it a solid 30% of the year without this car just to attend one race.

_

Reaction
Klaus, thanks for all the effort you put in to this one race.
Without your coverage, we would be stuck with the same old, minimal TV coverage to which we have become bored with due to your team's "On-the-ground" reporting, providing us with in-depth daily updates.

Thanks again...!!!

fordmonty

Reaction
The main reason I joined this site was for the Dakar coverage. Everyone here has tons more information than the Official Dakar site has. Keep up the excellent work Klaus and yall be safe.

ZequeArgentina

Reaction
THIS IS GREAT!!!
Excellent news, we will have your grea coverage one more year!!

I wait for your arrival to Argentina!

spalind

Reaction
I love scenic shots as much as I like the racing photos. If the two can be combined so much the better. I love seeing the different terrain, people, houses, mountains, trees, dirt, etc. Its the reason I love offroad motorsport in general--I get to see new and different places, different cultures, different geography, etc. and combine it with the challenge of an epic motorsport that pits your brain, character, ingenuity, creativity and heart against the obstacles presented.

BoothPacific Films

Reaction
You guys did a great job bringing the adventure to your audience. I really enjoyed hearing about the logistics of the race and how much distance you covered each day. Looking forward to the coverage this year.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I wish I could go with you. I grew up in Bolivia, but I never went to the area the race goes through. I have been within a couple hundred miles. We lived farther north, more central in the country at about 5,000 ft in the foothills of the Andes.

Looking forward to the great coverage you guys do.

trophygoat

Reaction
Loved the story on the 4runner from last year. I myself wouldn't mind a quick story every day, but thats just me. Not sure how easy it is to post stories from the bivouac for you guys but anything is appreciated over here. Obviously the main piece of news for the day is the top 10s and stage times but the stories that you guys write actually put us in the bivouac and gives us a unique perspective!

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Last year our team was decided into a home team and the ground team. The home team wrote the sporting aspect (top x running and happenings) based on publicly available results and feedback from the ground team. The ground team wrote the "this is Dakar" type stories.

This year we will write some of the sporting stories from the ground in addition to more Dakar general lifestyle stories.

Also our team just changed last minute as Adrian with Toyo can not commit to being in the car with us for 3 weeks we had a seat open up and Harry Wagner @Dirty Harry will be with us. Harry has written many stories for RDC as a freelance contributor and continues to write for us and many other off-road related publications. He was part of our home team in the past and has been to Dakar when McMillin raced.

We just submitted the needed paperwork to A.S.O. just in time before the November 30th deadline. Next step is booking of airfare and lodging.

blue dog

Reaction
Klaus, don't forget some local food pics every now and again. Enjoy, be safe, have fun, can't wait. You guys did an awesome job last year.

Offspring, you rocked last year as well. If I ever see you, beers are on my. Or gluten free non gmo grub if that's your kinda thing.

I'm excited, can't wait. As well have my eye on Husqvarna factory team this year.

Counting the days.

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
Some updates:

Our car has arrived over the weekend and I am the first one of our small media crew to be in town as well. Luckily yesterday and todays its raining so temperatures are closer towards California when I left. Customs looked at all my bags filled with electronics but with some luck I was able to convince them that I am part of the Dakar press coverage and they eventually all smiled and waved me through. Today I am dealing with the shipping companies paperwork, car insurance and locating a place to park our car that is tall enough and reasonably priced. We are staying downtown where parking is similar to parking in large dense international cities (think Manhattan, Amsterdam etc). Tomorrow I'll get out to the Zarrate port somehow to pickup the 4Runner.

Harry is now on his way as well and should get here tomorrow evening just in time for late dinner.

Ernesto travels between Christmas and New Years.

Not much to report yet. It feels like routine at this point. I know its many days out but last years these few days where flying by fast.