Really low priced HID..

FIGGY

hey i was wondering if anyone has ran the HIDs they sell at checkers auto parts or kragen auto. ther 7" lights there running for 97.99 or 99 something around there. they look really nice i wouldnt mind buying. anyone out there got any info on these.

tsho123

Google Kragen HID, there are a lot of different forums that have threads about them. From what I have gathered the general consensus is they work great for the price but don't compare to high quality HID's...

TK424

I run 5 of the Kragen ones on my buggy and they work great. One of mine it has a problem starting but once it gets warm its fine. They were hard to find I got the from $90 to $120.

Last edited:

Stinky Gas

My buddy has six of them on his rail. They lit up Cal City really well.

FIGGY

hell yeah that is awsome to hear i guess i will go buy the ones they have i need three, saves me a couple of bucks during this recesion. you guys notice on the box it has jesse james TT with the lights on it I wonder if they photo shopped it or if he really uses them.

07FJRog

hell yeah that is awsome to hear i guess i will go buy the ones they have i need three, saves me a couple of bucks during this recesion. you guys notice on the box it has jesse james TT with the lights on it I wonder if they photo shopped it or if he really uses them.
I have run two pair on two diff machines for over 1 1/2 years, no problems, there are many SxS owners running them, and very very few issues that anyone has had.

They have a wide flat (euro) pattern to them, and now you can get them in a 4" also. they also have a protective lens cover that come with them for rocks and such.

Rog

Co-Dog

If you plan on using an intercom or listening to a radio while the lights are on, you'll probably wish that you saved up for some real HIDs. Radio Frequency can be a real problem. If you don't need to hear anything over the RF noise the lights inject into your electrical system, then get the cheap ones.

Double_Down

We have a couple on the prerunner, they work great for the money.
Agreed. I've had a set on the front of the truck for the last 1.5 years, and they are still going strong. They pre-ran the last MORE season, not at full kill race speeds but quick enough to shake them up. No issues here...

Well, my only issue is I want more, as there never seems to be enough light in the desert! Also, having the integrated ballast they are *super* easy to wire up, and save a little space without the light and ballast being separate.

If you plan on using an intercom or listening to a radio while the lights are on, you'll probably wish that you saved up for some real HIDs. Radio Frequency can be a real problem. If you don't need to hear anything over the RF noise the lights inject into your electrical system, then get the cheap ones.
I've run them with both (AR550 and V8000) and not experienced any RF noise issues (lucky maybe?). What radio and intercom did you run with these lights and experience issues?

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
I have never had any lights last an entire race on the front light bar on our 16 car, so I bought a set of these at Checker the other day for $99ea, thinking they would get hammered any how. We only did 1 lap before breaking, but they worked really well. I was very happy with them. We may add some more.
We found that with the Euro beam we had them set on two differnet horizontal planes, and that made them alot better.

wrightracing.net

Or look for some Hella 4000's and buy the conversion kits.
That is the best way to go, I have done the conversion on lights for my 450 quad, my F350 and my Bronco and they cost $140 per light to do. I even did a conversion for a project TRX 250R but I am using the new Hella 4000 6in compact lights. The compacts are a little harder to convert because you have to make the openning for the wire connectors larger. I don't really like the compacts because the light pattern is to much like a percil beam. I use euro beams on the quad and F350 and use 4 percil and 4 euro on the Bronco.

hammer down racing

I have never had any lights last an entire race on the front light bar on our 16 car, so I bought a set of these at Checker the other day for $99ea, thinking they would get hammered any how. We only did 1 lap before breaking, but they worked really well. I was very happy with them. We may add some more.
We found that with the Euro beam we had them set on two differnet horizontal planes, and that made them alot better.
What the hell are you guys doing to your poor car?:D We have two of the KC 4 in hid lights on the front of our 1600 car that have lasted 2 1/2 years. We broke a lens on one of them at a night race and it still worked the entire race. They are both mounted on the front bumper with a hoop to protect them.

nic 1660

i had 6 of the cheap 4 in. hellas on my rhino and you could not run them all at once it would drain the battery half way through a mid night ride. So we bought those checker hid and put them on right before we did havasu to williams and back trip 9 hr straight no issue at all. it was a world of difference.

D. Freeman

Uh you guys realize these are $ 99 chinese HID lights, not HID battering rams. I have 8 of these lights on my truck they work way better than they should for what they cost.

Co-Dog

I've run them with both (AR550 and V8000) and not experienced any RF noise issues (lucky maybe?). What radio and intercom did you run with these lights and experience issues?
Here's my 2 centavos.

Over the last year or so, a bunch of HIDs have hit the market. We have always used Soltek with no problems whatsoever. Even rolled over , landing on all of them (bumper and roof), with no breakage or failure. They are a bit on the pricey side, so I totally understand the attraction to the lower priced HIDs on the market.

I have tried to help out several people that have posted here regarding noise issues. The problem seems to be hit and miss, regardless of the brand, except for Soltek. Just replacing the lights with another set of the same type cured a couple of guys problems. One way to insure noise issues and lower the light output, is to extend the wiring from the remote ballast to the light. Bad idea! That is no different than replacing ignition wires with regular wire.

My point is that, from what I've seen, you get what you pay for when it comes to lights. That has been the case from the first quartz halogen to show up years ago to the latest in HID. I've never been opposed to buying Chinese, if they make it better than we do. Cheaper does not = better.

punchdrunk monkey

I've ran the Kragen lights on my Rhino for 2 years and have had no problem with noise in my intercom or radio. I ran the Hella 4000HID's before that and also no noise issues.

AZ1000

2009 DRIVE CHAMP
What the hell are you guys doing to your poor car?:D We have two of the KC 4 in hid lights on the front of our 1600 car that have lasted 2 1/2 years. We broke a lens on one of them at a night race and it still worked the entire race. They are both mounted on the front bumper with a hoop to protect them.
A 12 car sat on them once, I got behind Wyllie in his TT once and he roosted them to pieces, I went deep diving at a MORE Night Race during a monsoon once, this really big A boulder was hiding behind a big bush that I hit when dodging a 1 car........:(

joe1369

Did it create any radio noise?????