Rear Airbumps?

havahockey

Flipper
I'm putting some 62" Deavers and 18" stroke triple bypasses on my Toyota Tacoma pretty soon, and was wondering if I should also put some airbumps back there as well. I've been told you don't need to with bypasses, other say you do.

What are your opinions?

98 Tacoma Prerunner, Camburg Long Travel Kit

singlehanded

I would put airbumps and limit straps. The shocks will just take longer to get dialed with three tubes. I bought some king 2.5 bypasses two tubes(16 stroke) for my daily driver. I wouldnt think that being a bypass shock would have anything to do with whether you need bumpstops.

local

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
A bypass has an internal bumpstop but I would still run airbumps. When the piston travels above the tubes and there is no place for the oil to go it will slow the piston to a stop therefore could be considered an internal bumpstop. Herbst TT and Truggy do not have airbumps, it is all internally controlled.

Kris

"A signature always reveals a man's character -- and sometimes even his name. "

Rallyrick

I'd say get some 4" polyurethane bumps and run it, you already have three stages of compression, I think that's plenty for your little tacoma

Bomber52

I would run bumpstops, whether you run air od poly urethane, will depend on your application i.e.
prerunner or race vehicle.

If you wanted to have an internal bumpstop in a bypass shock, you would need to run a solid piston and allow all the control to be done via the bypass tubes or valves in the remote resevoir. Unless the shock is custom made, the piston will have valve plates and ports. The reason the damping gets hard after the compression tubes, is because the valving is so hard. Generally the bypass shock takes the place of between 2 and 4 smaller shocks which would be valved softer, thus the bypass has to do the work of the smaller shocks and has to be valved much harder to give the same ride quality.

Greg

Lets see if I can clairify how a bypass shock works. Take a regular mono-tube shock and put really stiff valving in it, so it would ride really stiff. So to soften the ride you weld tubes on the outside of the shock to allow oil to go around the piston instead of having to go through the very resistant valving. That is the premise for a bypass shock. As for the question of running an air bump, You shouldn't need to, if the shock is valved properly, also, leaves are progressive and that should also help from bottoming. I jump my truck a little bit and have never run them.

Greg

toyoter91

well a tacoma is little compaired to a full size.. i dont consider my truck large. its the same size as a tacoma.

"Its still good!!! Its still good!!!"

blind655

I am what you call a large truck.. lol

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

firedog

We run 3"-16" SAW tripple by-pass shocks on the rear of our truck with SAW bumps, the bumps really made a difference. Up front we have 2.5" SAW shocks with bumps too. If your going to be pounding hard out in the Dez then I would get the bumps, if not then don't worry about them. I guess it comes down to how hard do you want to run. You know what the saying is "cubic dollars, how fast do you want to go?"
Paul

P.S. We will be switching to Fox Shox as soon as the budget will allow!

havahockey

Flipper
I don't think I'll be pounding it hard enought for airbumps right now as its still my daily driver. I'm gonna pass on the bumps for now, and if i bottom out a lot, then i'll add them.

Thanks for everyone's input!

drtdevil93

my recomendation would be to run a simple rubber or urethane bump. if you are contacting it often, then add the air bump.

gregs truck- no, that cant jump much at all. its mainly a show truck... (ps thanks for the ride, and ill get your screwdriver back to you. i had more drama on the way home)

erik

havahockey

Flipper
Is everyone asking me that today? :) When I get my rear done, then i'll jump it. I didn't pay $300 for my truck like Austin did for that RX-7. :)