• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rear collision/warning light color for Chase Vehicles

johndjmix

Im working on some lightbars for chase vehicles and was wondering, did the idea of having rear facing green lights on chase vehicles ever go anywhere? I just installed a prototype on my Raptor and have the standard amber...made me think.

Refer to this old thread: There should be a light for chase vehicles

I think having all chase vehicles having a certain color light would really be a good idea to identify them when they are on or near the course.

The idea stems from the fact that nowadays some of the chase vehicles are getting pretty sick, and if you come up on one in the dust/silt at high speed it could be mistaken for a race vehicle...

It would also be nice to have down in Mexico to know whos a fellow racer if you needed some help....

--John

Mike321

I have flashing amber LED lights on mine: Two in the back up high in the service bed, and two in the grill.

I only turn these on if stopped on a road or on the race course.

For assistance use and monitor the Weatherman channel (even after the race). I keep a radio on this channel until I cross the border back to the US for this purpose – I hope others do too.

There is usually some traffic on it after a race.

Bro_Gill

If there is a chase truck on the course during the race, regardless of what color light it has on the back, if it doesn't immediately pull over and get out of the way of a race car, nerfing is allowed.

Tuki

If there is a chase truck on the course during the race, regardless of what color light it has on the back, if it doesn't immediately pull over and get out of the way of a race car, nerfing is allowed.
Allowed but not legal, per transit rules (rear-end collision).

Lord Green

I think this would be a good idea. And I, too, always monitor Weatherman before and after the races, just in case

Mike321

Just make sure you are in a well protected vehicle if you want to do that. Mine weighs 10,000 lbs on race day.

FullSizeRender.jpg

Dave In Florida

It seems like any vehicle that has a chance of being on course should have a signal light, chase or retrieval. Since green isn't being used (like blue), and can be seen the best by the human eye, it makes sense to have a green light on the rear.

Bro_Gill

My guess is a hit in the rear from any truck or large buggy would ruin your day and probably the guy you are chasing for when the tires go flat. Last time I checked, we weren't talking about GSXRs at the 1000.

redline

Agreed. I understand that sometimes chase trucks have to be on the course but at no time should they be holding racecars up. Daytime the color of light doesnt matter because you generally cant see it till your there anyways and at night time all chase crews should know that as soon as you see light coming get off the course and wait for it to go by because your dust is slowing down someone's race and making them angry. In both case there should constantly be someone looking back for race traffic coming.

johndjmix

Absolutely, no chase vehicles on the course. But all of us have seen it happen.

Heck in My 2 sections in Baja I saw at least 2 chase vehicles pulling people THE WRONG WAY on the course! Rear lights wouldn't have helped that much.

That said there are times a chase vehicle needs to get close to or on the course for a little bit to rescue a race vehicle blocking the course. A certain color light would be nice.

--John

Dunarri LLC
wildscooterparts.com
coolermods.com

Mike321

My guess is a hit in the rear from any truck or large buggy would ruin your day and probably the guy you are chasing for when the tires go flat. Last time I checked, we weren't talking about GSXRs at the 1000.
I was speaking to your threat of nurffing a chase truck -- I thought you raced in Class 11?

BTW -- The chase truck would give you all the room possible at first sight of your car, minimize dust, etc. No need to nurf.

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

I was speaking to your threat of nurffing a chase truck -- I thought you raced in Class 11?

BTW -- The chase truck would give you all the room possible at first sight of your car, minimize dust, etc. No need to nurf.
You're full of crap. I have been behind chase trucks on the race course that didn't pull over until the race car was right on them. I see it at just about every race in Mex for the last 10 years. Yes, chase trucks. Chase buggies, etc... Not just locals in clapped out Jeep Cherokees. SOME chase trucks pull over right away. Others just keep rambling on down the course because they gotta get to their guy and get them back in the race, screw everyone else!