Rear end question

Jkrell

Reaction
Inside of a toyta 8" housing there are small tin pieces within the axle tubes that I am assuming were designed for containing oil to the 3rd member. The problem is that with hard offroad abuse these thin pieces bend, fall out of there little slots, and begin rubbing on the axles. Has anybody found a solution to this problem? Does something similiar exist inside of a 9" rear end that is of stronger design that I can copy? are they really even necessary to keep in there at all? I would guess something is needed there if the factory put them there but has anybody ever run without them and not blown up their rear end? Thanks for the help.

Jon

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
John,

when Dans diff blew up in Barstow form what i rememebr we didnt put them back in i put the 3rd memeber back in and took those things out to try to get as much of the metal outa the tubes and rear end and not 100% sure i put them back in. i might have just bent them outa the way also i cant really remember. Im sure dan will remember and could tell ya though.

Gregg

WFODAN

Reaction
They are still in . I believe they are for the purpose of keeping the majority of the oil in the center section . Otherwise the diff would run a little on the dry side .

mattrick8888

Reaction
you have experience with the diff running on the dry side, huh dan? or maybe i should ask fish?

drtdevil93

Reaction
carroll smith says to use them, so you should definitely have em in there. it doesnt have to be anything special, just a small sheet metal baffle.

erik

Jkrell

Reaction
you think there would be any reason why I couldn't just weld in a small sheet metal baffle....or maybe even just try to weld in the stock ones (probably not though because I think the are some kind of spring steel).

Jon

drtdevil93

Reaction
ya, i recommend you weld the axles to the baffle, this makes your locker work better. see you at the night race.

erik

Jkrell

Reaction
yeah was thinking of welding the shocks and the leafs to the housing too to make it work better together.

ntsqd

Reaction
As best I know they are baffles and no stock 9" I've seen has anything like those yoter parts. The better aftermarket & race 9" housings extend axle tubes in until they almost touch the side adjusters and then put in a plate to support the tube end which ends up doing the same job.

Also, by welding the axles to the housing you will completely eliminate wheel bearing failure.