rear end questions

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
First let me say im new to the off road truck thing so i dont know much. I am in need of some help on rear end gearing, locker or limited slip, a new 9" style complete rear end or one out of a junkyard and rebuild it, also does anyone have any knowledge of about how much a currie rear end is complete and ready to bolt up? All of these questions pertain to a chevy s10 with a 2.2l 4 banger 5 speed transmission. Is there any thing else i should consider when it comes to a rear end for my truck?
thanks in advance for the help

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
First off, if it's not a race truck or 4Linked, you might consider just running the stock rear end. Gusset it up, throw a Detroit Locker in it. Mine wrks great and is still friendly to drive on the street.

I'm running 4:88 gears, running 33" MTAs with a fuel injected four banger and that works good.

If you feel you need to go with a 9, get one that is already built and save yourself the hassle if you got the $.

I beat the crap out of my rear setup,(stock yota housing, 4:88s, Detroit Locker), and it holds up.

jnie

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The complete deal with the Extreme duty 9" housing with the big tubes and the full back brace installed, forged alloy 35 spline tapered large bearing axles, 11" drum brakes, 3rd. member with the Strange Eng. big bearing nodular iron gear case, Currie billet big bearing pinion support, gears of your choice, and the 35 spline spool, leaf spring pads mounted, and fully assembled would run 2432.75. Add 250.00 to upgrade to the Detroit locker. Add 250.00 to upgrade to the Wilwood disc brakes.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.animalhousedesigns.net>Animal House</A>

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Definetly go for a locker or a spool. Don't waste money on a limited slip, even if it is an Auburn. A Locker works good in a daily driver too. Not knocking Auburn limited slips, I have one in the front of my 88 yota 4x4. Works good but a locker would be better.

Check 1, 2, 3.......New ID pic working. Test test..............

hmmmmmm

It's never too late to be what you might have been....<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by NorCal_Prerunner on 03/30/02 00:02 AM (server time).</FONT></P>

ntsqd

Reaction
I would consider the TruTrac to be viable alternative if the truck is mostly a DD/prernnr and less a race truck. It's gear type limited slip. Light brake application locks them up when they do slip. Seems more tire life friendly than a Detroit. If a race truck, definitely spool or Detroit. If you drift the tail on every corner, spool.
4.88's and 33's put my 84 yoter back to stock cruise rpm's and shift points. 4.88's and 31's made it more entertaining to drive but a little hard on fuel.

TS

"Teach you all I know and you're still stupid"
-- Howdy Lee