• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rear end speed sensor

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I have a problem and I'm hoping someone out there has a solution. Im currently building an 96- F 150 and want to go with a 9 inch rearend. The problem is the 8.8 rearend comes equipped with a speed sensor that controls shift points in the transmission and if unhooked the computer goes into whats known as a half power mode. The check engine light comes on and the truck runs like crap. I know that on a Ford ranger you can unhook the speed sensor and nothing happens but not on the F-150. I really dont want to waste time with the 8.8 so hopefully someone can help me. Ive heard you can run a sensor on the driveline and this will work but I'm not sure about that. Any help will be appreciated.

rdc

You would be better off making a setup to run the stock speed sensor off the 9" ring gear. If you run it off the driveline it will read way to fast!!

Tony

Klaus

Administrator
where exactly is the sensor right now ? stock ?

does it run of the ring ? Is it a magnetic pickup ?

rdc

Yes its in the stock location. the diff has a hole the sensor sits in. Yes its a magnetic pickup. surely someone out there has figured a way around this

John Bitting

Administrator
This is a good question. I never thought about it, I own a chevy and when I regeared it, I had to buy a Hypertech programmer to reprogram my shift points and tires size so the ABS Light would go off. I think they said my sensor is in the transmission though......

rdc

I have a friend who had his 9 inch machined to accept the sensor but it was very expensive...there has to be another way

rdc

You can also call the guys at J&S in Huntington Beach. (714) 841-4545. They do a lot of rear end swaping and know everything about rear end's. They are really good.

Shaun

Greg

Build the 8.8. You can get all the go-fast stuff from Curries or just about any speed shop. just make shure to gusset the axle tubes from pulling out of the housing (trust me on tthis one). Ford even sells a bolt on disk kit with e-brakes.

Greg

rdc

I would go with Greg's advice on this one. I doubt you will abusing your truck like he does!!

FORDS ROCK! and Chevys watch.......

Tony

Chris

Greg, I remember reading something regarding your 8.8 coming apart in your news letter. I have a '98 four-by ranger with the 3.0. I run 33's and run the truck pretty hard (I'm not launching it but I like to charge the front section of the MDR track after the races) should I be concerned about the axle tubes separating from the diff housing? What can I do to strengthen it without diminishing ground clearance and not costing me an arm and a leg? Thanks

Greg

Chris, Dan Vance and I both broke (had the axle tubes start to come out of the housing or rotate) our 8.8s. I just welded the ends to the housing, I know its not the best thing to do but its my daily driver. Then I welded a piece of 5/8 round barstock to the ends of the housing and went under the diff. Hasn't broken yet and i've beat it harder than ever. And it only hangs 5/8" lower than before.

Greg