rear gear

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
So what is the difference between a spool, locker, posi and limited slip? What is recomended for a daily driver. What is the reason why one would be used over the other?

Gregg

sirhk100

Reaction
I'll keep this simple, I'm sure someone will go into details if you want.

Spool, locks the rear axles together without an option of one spinning independantly of the the other. Work awesome in the dirt. I've never driven one on the road but have heard arguments for and against them depending on the persons personality really.

Lockers usually lock the axles solid when on the throttle and unlock when off the gas. They also work awesome in the dirt. On the road they can be a pain but once you get used to them it's not bad. I noticed them in our CJ7 while cornering the most. If you went into a corner coasting and got on the gas it would try to drive you straight cause it would lock up the axles. If you went into a corner on the gas and got off it you would get thrown into the corner because the axles would unlock and all of a sudden you turned. Once you got used to it and expect it, it's not that big of a deal. Detroit seems to usually get the top spot for best locker out there. ARB makes one that can turn on or off but has problems when put behind a lot of problem and people have had problems with the air lines and leaking seals.

Posi/Limited Slip are the same thing (I think). They are virtually un-noticable on the highway. They will allow you to light up both rear tires at the light though. In the dirt they work great till one tire comes off the ground then they tend ot not do too much. If you apply a little break you can fool it into thinking the tire in the air is still gripping hte ground and get the one drive tire to turn sometimes. Auburn makes a GREAT unit.

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

singlehanded

Reaction
I recently got a auburn pro lim slip and some 4.56 gears from chrisman( they were the best price I could find). I think it was a round $620 for everything not installed. It seemed to be the best choice when I researched it. Spools will eat your tires and sound like your peelin out around every turn. A detroit locker is good , but I do to much mountain driving to worry about it engaging or disengaging on me and causing me to slide. So I am happy with my lim. slip but I have not gone to glamis with it yet.

local

sirhk100

Reaction
Man, you'll be stoked when you hit the dunes with it!!!!! Only part that really sucks is now you'll bury both rear tires

Khris

'92 Ford Exploder (work in progress)

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Good answer but a "good" posi will send more power (up to 2 times I have heard of) to the traction wheel, so if a tire is in the air it will be the tire on the ground gripping....most stock posi's are not comparable to aftermarket posi's because more customers would complain about them then be happy. I ahve an Auburn HD and it squeals the tires on about every corner because I have it set up so tight. If you ever need rearend work go to Performance Differential in Ontario, Jim is the owner and he is the only one that will touch it since it is a one man operation and he also has a lot of used and hard to find stuff rear end stuff too.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

singlehanded

Reaction
I even be more stoked when I get some rims for the desert traks I bought. Do you guys know where to get a pair of rims for them. they are like 31x14.5-15R15's. I think I was told to get some 12" wide rims but I not sure about the offset 5" glass with stock width 8.8 on a ranger.

local

cleartoy

Reaction
Spool=no differientation of wheels EVER. I have one in the front of my Toy 4x, it works bitchen in the sand. Very difficult to steer. Ive had one in the rear and it is great for traction. on road it chirps the tires at any turn. Hated it.

Locker=locks and unlocks. Better than stock but you have to hear click click click click. Some what annoying. Dont waste your time with a unit that installs in the stock carrier like Lock Rite or EZ locker. I did and destroyed a rear unit in less than a year. Get a full carrier replacement like Detrioit.

Posi\Limited Slip= clutch operated(in most but NOT all cases) better than stock, will limit how MUCH one wheel will differ in RPM than the other. Good comprimise for a daily driven street truck.

85 Toyota xtracab 4x4(for sale)
94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
anyone ever heardor used an eaton posi rear end? I am lookinginto getting it along with 4:56 gears soon hopefully before december the posi, gears and bearings is going to be like 1100 i think does that sound right.
Gregg

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
1100 better be including installation.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"

singlehanded

Reaction
eaton -auburn, king- sway a way, beard-mastercraft... well get the point.

local

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
Reaction
The eaton posi/limited slips unlike others are rebuildable

ntsqd

Reaction
The TruTrac limited slip uses all gears to limit the slip instead of a spring loaded clutch pack or cone clutch. If you get one tire in the air it will spin that tire. A simple tap of the brakes will lock it up and put power to the other tire.

Eaton supposedly has a version of the TruTrac coming out that also has an electric locking option. Not sure of exactly how the system engages, but the mechanics of it work like the ARB which simply slides a dog ring coupler over some dogs on one side gear locking it to the diff case. For Toyota's there's the TRD electric locking diff option that does the same thing with an open diff. Those lock with a motor that moves the coupler.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages

AZmiik

Reaction
Speaking of the TRD option I have heard that you ca clip a wire on the connector form the ECM that will allow the diff to lock at speeds higher than 7 MPH does any one have any info on this.

Mike

ntsqd

Reaction
Look up the Tacoma owners page. This is a well documented mod.

TS

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
You can go over 7mph with the locker engaged no problem, plenty of people use it for high speeds. There is a mod though that will let you be locked in 4H, 4L, and 2wd. Its just a matter of finding a wire and splicing it into another. You can read about it on www.ttora.com

ntsqd

Reaction
That's the page I was thinking of, couldn't remember the initials.

TS