Rear light bar

diirk

Reaction
I'm trying to decide what lights to put on the back of a vehicle.
I'll be needing Red, amber and blue. I found a mfg that has a really nice LED setup, that has colored LED's, but the actual lenses are clear.

Would that be acceptable withing MORE, SCORE, BITD rules?

Thanks.

Zambo

Reaction
You mean its clear when its off but colored when the lights come on? I think that would be fine.

diirk

Reaction
Yes, exactly. Clear when off and colored when powered.

diirk

Reaction
Thanks for the info. Is this SCORE or all things desert racing?

diirk

Reaction
and with that said, where's the best price on a complete light bar?

Thanks.

diirk

Reaction
Well, it turns out the above uses blue LED's instead of a blue lens so I don't believe that'll pass tech.

pjc

Chairman
Reaction
Diirk,

I know the manufacturer you are referring too. Good guy 100%, he should get the SCORE approval on his own. It would be good and easy biz for him for sure.

If that can't happen for your new car by then, get the standard LED, recessed trailer lights. There are even housings pre-made for them that look good.

See you in October.

diirk

Reaction
Good idea, I sent him an email.

diirk

Reaction
I spoke with Jim Clements from MORE and he approved the use of clear lenses with colored LED's. So, the Vehiclelight lightbar will be OK!!!
Considering the cost of the entire lightbar plus harness is barely more then just the blue light from Kartek, it's a good deal.

dakineJ

Reaction
Diirk,

I know the manufacturer you are referring too. Good guy 100%, he should get the SCORE approval on his own. It would be good and easy biz for him for sure.

If that can't happen for your new car by then, get the standard LED, recessed trailer lights. There are even housings pre-made for them that look good.

See you in October.

Are these the ones that are available at Napa and such?

SpeedBump

Reaction
I spoke with Jim Clements from MORE and he approved the use of clear lenses with colored LED's. So, the Vehiclelight lightbar will be OK!!!
Considering the cost of the entire lightbar plus harness is barely more then just the blue light from Kartek, it's a good deal.

How bright is the light with the amber colored LED's? An amber dust light should be very bright - similar to an off-road 55 watt H3 halogen. Would you use the light on your front bumper at night? In my opinion, lights designed as "clearance" lights are not bright enough for use as a race legal dust light.

Respect your rear bumper.

diirk

Reaction
I don't think they're available at Napa. They're sold online at http://store.vehiclelight.com/6494.html. Also, these aren't clearance lights, they're the standard style 6" oval light, just LED style. And, depending on which light you get, they can have as many as 60 LED's, which would be pretty bright. Also, they're meant for the rear of the car, to act as Stop/Tail/Dust lights...

SpeedBump

Reaction
Also, they're meant for the rear of the car, to act as Stop/Tail/Dust lights...

Stop/Tail/Clearance lights with an amber lens cover (or amber colored LEDs) are not very bright (compare a 3157 to a H3). However, you will not be the only one racing with a hard to see dust light.

diirk

Reaction
Well, I'm actually running the LED amber they sell at Kartek wired on high. I'd be interested in seeing some lighting specs for 3157 vs H3 vs LED since you seem to be familiar with the various products.

SpeedBump

Reaction
Well, I'm actually running the LED amber they sell at Kartek wired on high. I'd be interested in seeing some lighting specs for 3157 vs H3 vs LED since you seem to be familiar with the various products.

I think Kartek also sells the Hella 550 Fog Lamp (H3) or something like it as a dust light. The LED light is similar in intensity to a stop/tail light.

I do not have the specs but have compared the lights. When you are passing in extreme dust the difference is very noticeable.

Fortunately, in Barstow, Lucerne Valley, Ridgecrest and Plaster City we rarely get extreme dust conditions. However, Neveda’s silt beds are different. I wonder what dust lights the racers were using when they got entangled in the cluster at RM 1 at the Mint 400.

TaylorAnderson31

Reaction
who can confirm that the lenses have to be colored? Is this the actual rule, lights are always on during the race, therefore the colors will be seen. They can be turned on for tech.

Thx,
Taylor

TaylorAnderson31

Reaction
Speedbump,
So More is good, Score, Bitd, whiplash?

any info will help.

thx.

diirk

Reaction
I've seen clear lenses on plenty of cars, so they may actually pass tech with other organizations, but MORE definately allows clear lenses. According to the rules though, they specifically call out colored lenses.

The rules according to BITD:

SCR19: LIGHTS All vehicles must have a minimum of two taillights, two brake lights and one rearward facing amber light. A rearward facing BLUE LIGHT in addition to the rearward facing amber light must be installed on all vehicles in the 8100, 7300, 5100, 4100, 3100, 3000, 2000, 1900, 1700 and Class 1800 Open Sportsman classes. This BLUE LIGHT is an attempt to identify slower moving classes of vehicles so that faster classes of vehicles will be able to recognize they are approaching a slower vehicle. All lights must be in operating condition at time of inspection. Headlights may be removed for daytime races unless class rules specify stock headlights are to be retained. All rearward-facing lights (taillights, brake lights, blue lights if so required and amber light) must be in operating condition before the vehicle will be permitted to start the race. If during the race any taillight, brake light, blue light if so required or amber light is damaged or burned out, the light must be fixed or replaced at the next available pit before proceeding in the race. Any taillight, blue light if so required or amber light that is connected to a switch that will allow the vehicle to move in any direction under its own power without the lights being on will cause that vehicle to be disqualified. All rearward-facing lights must be protected against damage in the event of a rollover. Taillights must be at least 3 inches in diameter, or meet with Best In The Desert Racing Association approval, and must be mounted in such a manner as to be clearly visible from a distance to the rear of the vehicle. Rearward facing amber light and blue light if so required must be at least 40watts but not greater than 55watts. The amber lens must be deep-coated amber in color (no other color is permitted). The blue lens must be medium coated blue in color (no other color is permitted). The amber light and blue light if so required must be mounted a minimum of 48 inches from the ground and must be clearly visible, with no obstructions (IE: not mounted behind any solid object), from any angle from the rear of the vehicle. The amber light and blue light if so required must be placed so that an approaching driver’s vision is not impaired. The amber light, blue light if so required and taillights must be connected to the ignition switch (connecting straight to the battery switch, if vehicle is so equipped, is acceptable) and remain on during the entire race.