Rear Main hoop termination location on a Ranger

NorCal_Prerunner

Reaction
Where do you prefer to locate your rear main hoop (where it is welded to the frame) on a ranger xtra cab? The body mount is right in the way.
Options:
1. Mount rear main hoop on the top of the frame not messing around with the body mount.
2. Plate the top of the body mount, and mount the rear main hoop there and integrate a solid body mount into the design.
3. Re-locate the rear body mount forward and mount the rear main hoop to the side of the frame where the body mount was previously located.
4. Other ideas.
5. Any pictures of what you did, and reasons why you did it.

Thanks in advance.

billymanfroy

Reaction
Josh,

Don't know if you remember ours, but we went outboard of the stock mount, through the floor and then at an angle under the mount directly to the frame. It is tricky there, but I don't recommend anything other than going (somehow) through the floor and to the frame. I don't think it's worth taking out the stock body mounts or relocating them if you're leaving the cab on there.

I seem to remember seeing a very clean setup that made plated extensions off both sides of the body mount that had a slight break to them and then the guy bolted either a rubber or solid bushing sideways through it like some guys do with their bed cage. Best of both worlds, and it was forgiving when he terminated and fitted the main hoop.

Anyone have any good pics ???

Matt760

Reaction
Here is a pic of my ranger, the lower plates sandwich the cab with two bolts. I haven't put tubing to the frame yet but I will pretty soon. Hope that gives you some ideas.

Attachments

• 66287-P1010049.jpg
    66287-P1010049.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 458

singlehanded

Reaction
heres a few shot of a bs truck at rialto

Attachments

• 66290-MVC-026S.JPG
    66290-MVC-026S.JPG
    30.4 KB · Views: 431

singlehanded

Reaction
another

Attachments

• 66291-MVC-007S.JPG
    66291-MVC-007S.JPG
    33.9 KB · Views: 426

singlehanded

Reaction
solid front mounts/cage to frame

Attachments

• 66292-MVC-014S.JPG
    66292-MVC-014S.JPG
    38.2 KB · Views: 430

CRAIG_HALL

Reaction
It's isn't finished in the photo,but the vert. tube was sleeved and a tube ran thru a hole in the top of the frame and was welded to the inside of the frame channel.The rear portion of the frame was then boxed in around that sleeved tube.( The frame was cut of to 4-link it)

Attachments

• 66308-My Pictures0017.jpg
    66308-My Pictures0017.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 364

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
here is another.

Attachments

• 66314-customcagerangerrearmount.jpg
    66314-customcagerangerrearmount.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 452

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Re: Rear Main hoop termination location on a Range

here is another one.

Attachments

• 66318-customcagerangerfrontmount.jpg
    66318-customcagerangerfrontmount.jpg
    106.6 KB · Views: 398

J_Dog

Reaction
Re: Rear Main hoop termination location on a Range

Not to steal the thread, but it's regarding some of the same things. Currently, I run a lower budget Class 7S Ranger that we are starting to upgrade. The truck was built into a race truck and raced since approx. late '98. The cage mounts have plates on the terminal ends and doubler plates on the underside. The doubler plates have a plate, welded at a 90 degree angle that connect to the frame. It had a body lift on it when we bought it, I'm sure for tire clearance. It still has metal fenders. We run 31x10.50's, but want to go to 33x12.50's. We plan to go to fiberglass front and rear fenders this off-season.

What are the pros/cons of solid body mounts? When you cut large holes or areas for the cage to go to the frmae what do you do after the cage is mounted (i.e. weld in plates with a small clearance for the tubing, make rubber gaskets where the tube goes through, etc.)? With fiberglass fenders should we or would we be able to remove the body lift (lower the center of gravity) and still have clearance for 33's. I'm sure we will need to clearance the lower front portion of the cab (foot well area) for this, as well.

Jerry, is there a tube that runs from the front to the rear (in the body channel) of those cage mounts. If so, I take it that would act as a side bar (nerf bar of sorts) or rock slider for 4x4 enthusiasts.