Rear Setup

FordFreak

Reaction
I have a '99 f-150 with 3" lift spindles in the front and in the near future am going to be getting Eibach Coils and new Upper Control arms that will lift my truck about another 2.5 to 3" in the front. I have the rear end stock as of now and was wondering what to do. I know Deavers would be the best thing for the rear but I am not going to have the $ for that when I lift the front. A friend suggested just to get extended shackles for the rear and leave it at that. I was wondering if that would be better than blocks or Add-a-Leafs. What would be the best way and what are some of the pros and cons of each set-up? Please help.

crashesalot2003

Reaction
i would say your friend is right because blocks are a purely cosmetic lift and i have found add a leaf lifts tend to stiffen the ride, where as shackles lift the truck and also increase useable wheel travel and seem to give a better ride off road.

no brain, no pain

1992f150

Reaction
you going to offroad it? If so Deaver can rework your stock packs for alot less money than a custom pack costs.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I am not sure about a 99 but I know the older style F150s have the shackle flipped from factory...so a longer shackle would lower it if that is the case. A block is ok but will give more wrap. An add a leaf is a nice option. With a nice shock the added stiffness from the add a leaf can be a good thing especially if you ahve a bed box or bumper and spare tire back there.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

FordFreak

Reaction
I do plan to off road it. I, on occasion take it to the dirt. If I put an add a leaf in the back what type of shocks would be recommended. This is my daily driver. While I want some off road performance I will use the stock rear mounting setup for the shocks so I will not have the bed removed or have a shock hoop made.

Adam
Powerd By American Muscle.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Just put a good 2 inch shock with a res. and a new set of bumpstops that are a bit longer and compress more. Go to Kartek...they have all you need.

Kris
"Buy American before it's too late..."

In_the_works

Reaction
Kris, would you know if the '96 f-150's have the factory flipped shackle?

'96 F-150 4x4 ex cab
'02 Maico 250

1992f150

Reaction
im almost positive they do, my 92 has it, and its the same spring

Azusa: shame of the foothills