rear shock mount location???

singlehanded

Reaction
I am mounting my rear shock to a cage. I not exactly sure how to figure out how high I should mount them. I have 10" from axel top to middle of bumpstop and I figured mounting them 13" forward at a 25 degree angle the shaft would need to be 11" minimun out. It is a 16" travel shock and that would only give me 5-6 of down travel. Is that right or can someone explain how to find where shock should be mounted?

local

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Gimme your email and I will send you over a spreadsheet program I made to help you out.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

V8Ranger

Reaction
So is that what you were doing rather than going to class this morning? haha. It was boring anyways so you didn't miss anything.

1992f150

Reaction
i think the correct way to do it is take the leaf pack apart so you only have the main leaf, cycle it with a floor jack to make sure shock doesnt bottom out.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

singlehanded

Reaction
I not gonna do that no point. I am just figuring so the shock over compress. I will limit the down travel once mounted.

local

ntsqd

Reaction
For up travel I use metal to metal where the bumpstop is, and add ~1/2" more shock stroke which should cover the housing twisting relative to the frame. If the shocks are more inboard than outboard increase that 1/2" number to something comfortable.

TS

"It only seems kinky the first time"
-- Bumpersticker seen in Lost Wages