Rear suspension dilemma

PBC_Tacoma_Kid

Reaction
Well i want to do my rear suspension but it will be temporary, could be for a year or more though, eventually I want to ditch the bed for a full bedcage but for now need half decent rear suspension, I either want to run a shock hoop with a 14in + stroke 2.5, or run something small under the bed like a 7100. The problem is i dont want to spend a bunch of money on a hoop and shocks and then have to cut holes in the bed and then get rid of it all when i want to upgrade. i know the bigger shocks will be way better but I just want input from guys who have gone through the same situation and what you think the best way to do it is. BTW this setup will be run with deaver springs and its on a tacoma, also i will be doing a longtravel front setup, hopefully soon after i do the rear. hope this makes sense and thanks
Brandon

havahockey

Flipper
Reaction
To get the best use out of those Deavers you'll have to run a shock hoop through your bed. If you are planning on ditching your bed in the future why not cut the holes in it? If you're worried about losing bedspace you'd be suprised what you can still fit in a bed with a hoop back there, and you could always build it with the crossbraces bolt on.

cleartoy

Reaction
Its important to have a long range goal. IF you want something now, and not later, its not going to be optimum.

For temporary use its up to you. Im running stock springs with add a leaves and bigger shackles on the back of my 94 with SAW 2.5x14s and its half way decent. I have 62s on order and when they come it, i will need longer shocks. Im not worried though. Ill just make another shock mount. You got to pay to play. Got to have the right tool for the job.

94 Toyota stdcab 2x4
99 Yamaha YZ250

Got Sand??

MH20

Reaction
I dealt with the same problem - I have my front completely done, but I am still saving up a little more for the rear. Right now I am running deavers and bilstein 5100s. It keeps up with the front good enough for now.

1993 Ford Ranger Supercab 4.0L 2WD

firedog

Reaction
If the bed is in good condition could you sell it for money when the time comes for the big upgrade? If so I wouldn't cut holes in it and mount the shocks under the bed and use the money from selling the bed to help pay for the upgrades, just a thought.

orvacian

Reaction
I found that is a lot harder to sell a truck bed then it is to give it away (or sell it real cheap). Plus it is big and heavy and takes up space and you will probably want to get rid of it quick. If you cut the holes they can be covered with a bed liner for the next owner. Don't get less then a 16" shock or you will be selling them soon and loosing money. 16" will work for up to about 20" travel leaf springs and not be at too much of an angle. You can get King 2.5"X16" prerunners for about $250ea. The 7100's are a waste of your time and money.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by orvacian on 09/25/02 07:49 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
The people who try to sell their beds for a decent price hardly ever do...jsut watch the ads on here. You will be good if you get 100 for a good bed.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."

Bonzen

Reaction
I have simple chromoly hoops with 14" stroke bilstein 7100's with resis, and it cycles 13" of travel and works great. I have stock trd leafs. I can still fit a ton of stuf in the bed.

-Ryan

Tim

Reaction
sounds cool, got any pics of the set-up. Did you put the hoop to the very front of the bed or just keep it low? Tim

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
Here are the pictures after we did the spare mount:

The part thats in the bed is bolton so if he has to carry something big back there he can just unbolt it.

Go Big Or Go Home
United Jumping Truck Society

Jerry Zaiden

Reaction
Kris,

Most people get around $400-800 in the recycler. Try salvage yards they might also buy it.

drtdevil93

Reaction
i got 500 for mine, and the dumas never painted, so i still see it all the time red toyota with white bed with a blue stripe on the bottom

erik

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
Geez i might have to sell mine if thats what they go for. I always see them sit in the classifieds forever on here.

Kris
"I was thinking the exact same thing about you..."