Rear trailing arm type differences???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
I didn't really realize that there were different types of trailing arms for IRS (not talking about A-amrs at all here). . .but apparently there are. I saw in a thread today where someone asked another why they used trailing arms vs. semi-trailing arsm (or vice versa). . .

So whats the difference between trailing arms and semi-trailing arms???

Thanks!!!

Scott_F

Reaction
Trailing arms pivot perpendicular to the chassis centerline, and go straight up and down. Semi-trailing arms pivot at an angle (5-15* from perpendicular) to create camber gain.

rharriman

Reaction
I read a good article about this I will try and find it...

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Once I can post pictures again (for some reason the site isn't letting me right now) I can post some pic's of semi-trailing arms because that's what we put on our single seat race buggy for a collegiate competition (we didn't realize they were semi-trailing arms when we made them). . .

rharriman

Reaction
I know the article I read was in a book not on the net, It had to be because I can't find it, I will scan some in maybe so I can share it here. It was pretty good info. I have only been doing design for offroad stuff for about 1 to 2 years and have learned alot so far. Fortuantely I am working with a guy who knows alot about suspension design. Its been really cool to learn it all.

atomicjoe23

Reaction
You should definitely pass that info on. . .I would love to hear what you have learned!!!