Rearend grenaded

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
My weak chevy 8 1/2 10 bolt rear exploded on me on the way home from glamis. I dont want to replace and regear this one again with 456's for my 35" tires because it will probably go out again. What can I replace it with to beef it up? Will I have to change my drive shaft? Any place I should talk to about this?
Truck: 1998 chevy 5.7L 1500 4wd

CanyonMan

I would look for a 1 ton chevy rearend to replace it. You may require some driveshaft shortening, but it is easy for a shop to do and isn't very expensive. It may be cheaper to get a custom built 9inch or 12 bolt to replace it, the best would be a Dana 60 or Corporate 14bolt. They will be much stronger than the 10 bolt in your truck (which is the same as in my truck) but you will still need to get a custom driveshaft made or get yours modified. I rebuilt the 10 bolt in one of my cars that ran nitrous 3 times, it woulda been cheaper for me to save up and buy a custom rearend in the end.

Lyrch

Bryan_D

I have a 14bolt and you cant really find that many aftermarket parts, plus they are extremely heavy and large in size. Go with a strong 12bolt or 9" is your best bet.

blind655

I did the same thing wtih my 10 bolt in my 98 suburban. I got a 9" from Currie and have been very happy with it. If you would like some pics let me know

Later
Mike

A suburban might not be as good as a truck, but it comes damn close with 8 people in it

rdc

Is a 14 bolt a 3/4 ton or 1 ton chevy rear end?

Blind655 I would like to see some pics. Also if you could email me with what was involved and how much I might expect to pay for the same conversion. coldlogic@aol.com

Ryno

The easiest upgrade for the 10 bolt is a 9.5" 14 bolt. It is a semi floating axle, and it a direct bolt in replacement. They came in heavy 1/2 tons, and Light Duty 3/4 tons. You can find a complete unit at the junkyards for anywhere from $300-800. They are six lug, so you don't have to change the wheels! If you want more info, PM me. Was that you going down 78 through ocotillo about noon witht he busted rear end...white truck....sounded like the ring gear got trashed.

Ryno

Build it like a Rhino, and Leave it be.

rdc

above brian d said a 14 bolt wasnt a good idea. Is it really hard to find things for this axle like lockers etc..??? I like the idea that it keeps the 6 lug and doesnt go to 8 lug. Will the 14bolt reuse the same driveshaft as my 10 bolts? PM me ryno with more info.
How many lugs does a 9" have?
No that wasnt me on the 78 going past ocotillo that was me on the 60 west going through moreno vally with the black truck.

Bryan_D

They are not all 6 lug and they also came in a 1ton truck. Mine is in a 454SS truck with a 5on5.5 lug pattern with factory posi. Way to heavy though and it robbs alot of power throughout the drivetrain.

We put an auburn posi in and it wasnt the cheapest part since if you want it for performance it would be cheaper to build something else. Look up prices they arent easy on the wallet.