• Forum membership has its advantages....

Rearend Questions

rdc

- users no longer part of the rdc family -
I have a few questions for anyone out there who can help me.

I recently perchased a Ford 9 inch rearend. Its for a Ford Ranger and I am not sure what gear ratio to run and also what the difference is between a spool, locker, and mini spool and if I want to get one.

Other information, My truck has a 3.0 V6 engine and I am currently running 32x11.5 tires and soon will have 33x10.5 tires. And allthough I go to the desert about 2 times a month it is mainly a street prerunner.

Thanks Eric

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Spool keeps both axles rotating at the same rate at all times whereas a locker has the ability to ratchet for cornering.

If it's streeet driven, run a good limited slip or detroit locker. Stay away from a spool unless you want to eat up tires and piss people off.

The gear ratio depends on transmission and how much mileage you expect ot get out of it.

Kris

"Revenge is best served cold"

DougM

If you can afford it, an ARB air locker is the Mercedes of lockers. great on/off road.
you can turn on when needed and acts like an open diff on the street when off.

rdc

Thanks for the help. But I now have a new problem. I called Currie today and they said that if I pull the ABS plug to install the Ford 9 inch on my truck it will screw with more that just the anti-lock brakes. It might mess up the transmission and other things because of the sensors.

Does anyone know if this is true?

I called some fab shops and rearend shops and most said it will be ok to pull the ABS. They said all it does is turn off the anti-lock brake system and the light turns on, however they have never done it on a 98 Ranger.

Some shops told me to try and trick the ABS by connecting the wires and making a circut or by fitting an adapter into the 9 inch. Anyone have any advice?

Thanks Eric

jeff

There was a question like this posted a long time ago regarding the ABS sensor and the Ford 9" - you can do a search for it and read the thread, it's pretty long.

Here are a few pics of the solution:

You could call a Ford dealership and ask one of their knowledgable techs to find out exactly what the computer picks up fromt that sensor.

Aloha

Jimmy8

If it is your daily driver go with a limited slip. Auburn Gear is a good company. As far as what gear ratio to run. I had a ranger with a 2.9, k&n, custom exhaust, and 31 inch tires. I went with 4.10 gears and totally wished I would have gone with the 4.56's. I understand the 3.0's are making more ponies than my 2.9 did, but with the 32's I would go with a 4.56 rear end gear. I have not heard of any problems with people swapping out to a different rear end and unplugging the abs. Don't take that as gospel though. As for the light coming on afterwards, just cut the light wire. :)

PMC Racing<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1>Edited by Jimmy8 on 01/03/02 06:19 PM (server time).</FONT></P>

DougM

I have ABS disabled on my Jeep. Just pulled the relay in the engine compartment and the fuse in the fuse panel(so the annoying ABS light would go out on dash) braking is much better and the pedal is firmer. I can't say what it will do on a Ford but hit some Ford bulletin boards and ask around.

good luck

V8Ranger

I have a '94 ranger without ABS and I haven't had any problems. I doubt that anything would be different between '94 and '98 but I'm not 100% sure.

DPpatrol

This is somewhat unrelated, but what rearend comes on expeditions. Seems like that would be a nice wide, strong, disc brake rear end.

jason

DPpatrol

8.8 is like GM 10 and 12 bolts where you aceses the gears through a cover on the back of the rear end, not like a toyota or 9 inch where you can pull the pumpkin, right?? Does ford currently put a more heavy duty rearend than the 8.8 in any trucks?

jason

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Ford Runs a 9.75 in the expeditions with the good motor and Excursions and my guesss would be the F350 also.

"Revenge is best served cold"

rdc

Kritter - I thought that the Excursion and F250/F350 used the 10.25 out back? Or is that a thing of the past for Ford HD trucks? I've been told that the F650 uses a Dana 110 or something like that...

David - No one of consequence.

Jimmy8

The ford F-150, 250 and excursions have a 10.25. I outa know, we sell them.

PMC Racing

jeff

To answer the question regarding a removable 3rd member on the 10.25" rear ends... NO, they are not removable.

Aloha

Jimmy8

sorry, I meant the 350. the f-150 doesnt have one.

PMC Racing

Greg

I belive Ford runs the 9.75 in all the newer 1/2 ton stuff, and the 3/4 and 1 ton should use a dana 70 or 80. Anybody got a dimension on axle size for the new rears? could this be the end of the venerable 9"?

Greg

jeff

I don't think Ford has made the 9" rear end for quite a while. If memory serves correctly Ford stopped the production of the 9" in 1986-ish and then finally stopped using them in trucks around 1990.

And the 9.75" is available in the F-150 if you order the Lightning package... so if you happen to come across a munched Lightning they make an excellent F-150 donor truck.

For those interested in Ford specifications, check out http://www.fordhaven.com/specs/ - Whenever I have a Bronco or Ranger spec question I go there first.

Aloha