rearend width

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
whats the standard for the width of your rearend? should i try to get one that is exactly the same size as my front end? meaning on the arms i have it is +3 inches each side so a toal of 6 inches wider up front then stock. right now i have the stock rearend and am planning on getting a 9 inch. will it be a big deal if the rearend isnt the same width as the front? rearends are measured from flange to flange correct? or on a floater hub to hub?

Gregg

fishd00d

What A Joke
As long as the rear is not wider than the front you are ok. Most measure from inside of disk to inside of disk...or drum to drum.....

Go Big Or Go Home

DANKFAB

My front end is 8.25 inches over stock per side (16.5 overall), so I went to a ford9" that had roughly 6 inches wider per side (12 overall) and that gave me an 83 inch front track, and rear 74 I think, I am going off of memory here. You'll definitely want a wider front, or equal front and rear track widths, but not a wider rear for handling purposes and it might affect you turning radius as well. I measured off of the flanges when I got mine from the junkyard and just compared that length to my stock axle. When I found one that was wide enough to be 6 inches on either side, I took it. Be careful not to buy one that is gonna be too wide for your setup like my friend did. He had to cut the $#!% out of the bedsides so the tires won't chew em up. Oh ya, since you are probably gonna keep your stock driveline, you'll need a special yoke installed into the 3rd member to be able to accept the stock u-joint, which should get done if you're gonna re-gear it anyway. Brakes are a whole other story!!
Brandon

Champagne taste on a beer budget!

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Why would you go with a 9" and then lose the yoke strength for a toyota yoke?

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

DANKFAB

The yoke I have on my 9inch is billet aluminum, and accepts my stock chevy u-joint. I don't know what toyota yoke you're talking about? Getting a slip yoke and new driveline to fit an S10 costs a lot of money. I know because I have priced it. sacrificing the yoke strength is the least of my worries.

michael_loomis

toyota yoke ?? is that what you had to use to mate a 9" to an S-10 driveline ? im confused , where did the yota yoke come from ?

DANKFAB

Kritter was saying something about losing strength by using a toyota yoke?. I don't know where he got that from?????????????I have a special yoke for a ford9 that accepts chevy u-joint.

fishd00d

What A Joke
I have never seen a Toyota Yoke break anyways but I dont know where he got that from lol.

Go Big Or Go Home

michael_loomis

Kritter ..... you been drinkin son ??

Dank .... how much and where did you get your yoke made ?

DANKFAB

I don't know the cost of the yoke by itself because the guy who built it for me worked for Oceanside Driveline and got good deals on the entire 3rd member setup when I had him regear it 4.56 for me.
I will guess like $100 or less ballpark figure??

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
I think i was tired...I dont knwo where I got that from!!!

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>