rebuilding shocks

Zac Reish

Reaction
i have a set of 16" fox bypasses. I have all the parts to rebuild them but i am wondering if i should just leave them alone. i have run them on my baja for about 3 to 4 years. I probably have about 30 trips to the desert, this is not a sand car. there just aren't any signs of oil leaks. i just can't tell if i should or not.

Captain Air Time

Reaction
I would think that unless you have reason to believe they were cooked beyond bearing, keep running them. MY SAW COs on my daily driver/weekend warrior have several years on them, and by the seat of MY pants, they are as good as ever. If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It! Racing? absolutely, I'd at least have a look at the oil. For DD/fun, its about the driving, not tearing it down every trip. Drive On, you can go through them when there's a problem. Time is precious - waste it on something else :D

YMMV

joe1369

Reaction
I would think that unless you have reason to believe they were cooked beyond bearing, keep running them. MY SAW COs on my daily driver/weekend warrior have several years on them, and by the seat of MY pants, they are as good as ever. If It Ain't Broke, Don't Fix It! Racing? absolutely, I'd at least have a look at the oil. For DD/fun, its about the driving, not tearing it down every trip. Drive On, you can go through them when there's a problem. Time is precious - waste it on something else :D

YMMV
Amen to the time and MONEY is precious, use it on having fun, they will start to leak when they need to be gone through.:D

Zac Reish

Reaction
ok so i am leaving the bypasses alone. however i decided to rebuild my front coil overs due to leaking. My questions are how far should the piston in my reservior be set from the nitrogen charging end of the reservior? My reservior is 2" by 11" long. the other question I have is how close to the top of the shock body do I fill the oil?

WannaB-class5

Reaction
I know I answerd the question on the other site but set it to 8" from the hose end and about a quarter inch from full of fluid with the piston in the shock and the air all bled out. But still, read the fox directions! http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_c ... ebuild.PDF

WannaB-class5

Reaction
Oh and shocks may need to be rebuilt even if they are not leaking. There are a lot more seals that might have failed inside the shock.

bajatex

Reaction
I know I answerd the question on the other site but set it to 8" from the hose end and about a quarter inch from full of fluid with the piston in the shock and the air all bled out. But still, read the fox directions! http://www.foxracingshox.com/fox_tech_c ... ebuild.PDF
8" from the hose end on an 11" long res does not sound correct to me. Be careful and make sure you get the right info so you don't Hydraulic the shock.