Rebuilding spring packs. . .anti-friction spray???

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Guys,

this isn't for a desert rig, but I always find that you guys go more in depth into suspension than most of the other forums do so I figured this was as good a place to post this as any.

Here's the deal, I've got a '49 Jeep Willy's P/U truck project and I need to rebuild the spring packs as they are rusty and the rust definitely won't help in letting the springs work properly. My plan is to just separate the leaf packs, clean them up with a wire wheel to get rid of the surface rust, coat them with some Rust Converter/Encapsulator, and then to put some of the ant-friction pads between the leaf springs.

What I was wondering is if there is some sort of anti-friction coating that I can apply at home myself. . .from a spray can or with a brush? so that the leafs can slide against each more easily.

Also, any of you guys know where I can order the bolt style leaf spring retainer clamps? I need to replace those as well. I don't wanna use the cinch type, the bolt type are supposed to allow the leafs to flex a little more and provide a slightly better ride over the cinch clamps (all other things being equal between the leaf packs).

Thanks!

Erik Wehn

Reaction
use dry moly lube spray. they sell it at mcfadden dale. do not use grease or graphite. graphite will wear off almost immediately, grease will collect dirt/sand and make a huge mess.
the clip bolts you can get at deaver, and they'll have the sleeves that prevent the clip from squeezing. really you won't notice any difference from the bolt type to the clamp type. and remember the bolt type will have to be riveted/bolted to the leaf (pain in the butt).

atomicjoe23

Reaction
Thanks Erik,

I knew that I had seen that dry-moly spray somewhere, but I couldn't remember exactly what it was. I can get that locally as well. Greatly appreciated.

Time to drop Deaver a line.

Thanks again.