Recommend me a forced air helmet.

MCM MOTORSPORTS

Reaction
I am looking to purchase a forced air helmet. And I have a couple of questions. Any answers are greatly appreciated. Thanks.

What do most of you blokes on here use?

Are the Simpson top entry models any good?

Is there much weight difference between manufacturers?

How well do the carbon fibre helmets hold up to the rock abuse off road racers experience?

baja619

Reaction
Simpson Devil Ray all Carbon helmet was great choice for me.
Very Light and feels very comfortable when wearing for long periods of time.

Jeff Furrier

ADVERTISER
Reaction
The carbon holds up, but the clear coat gets a little beat up. Depending on the brand, Carbon helmets are not always lighter weight.

If you want top air, the HJC F1 is a good choice and is super light weight- http://www.upr.com/HJC-FI-10-Top-Air-p956.html

We send a fair amount of the Bell Helmets to Australia and have many happy customers with them. The Bell BR 1 is a good choice and reasonably priced at 469.95 wired -
http://www.upr.com/Bell-BR-1-Fresh-Air-SA2010-WIRED-FOR-OFF-ROAD-p932.html

The Bell BR 1 can be used as a top or side air if you buy an extra intake port for 29.95, or it can be set up that way instead of the side air for no extra cost.

You can order online from Australia, the helmet will ship USPS for about $60-80.00 usd.

Feel free to call us as well 520 5290 3654

runninfromthegun

Reaction
I've worn a few hoc helmets and never really cared for them, I felt as if they are to short, they would barely come to the bottom of my chin. I now have a bell BR-1 and have no complaints.

ss415

Reaction
i just picked up a impact for a decent price. wore it for the first time during hdra night race. it felt great the whole night it was light and fit comfortably . only issue i had was my ears getting folded.

CraigMT

Reaction
I have an HJC and like it. Fairly light, good visibility and sits just right on my noggin. I used Shoei for years but it was hard finding visor's for the model I liked.

Whatever you settle on, make sure it is quality!

Dirty Harry

Reaction
i just picked up a impact for a decent price. wore it for the first time during hdra night race. it felt great the whole night it was light and fit comfortably . only issue i had was my ears getting folded.

I had that issue initially with my Impact helmet, but it was remedied by using their thin cheek pads.

retroblazer

Reaction
Just to keep in mind that any helmet set up for air can and should be modified by the owner/user to suit their needs. I'm not suggesting that anybody cut holes in their helmets, but there is no reason why the front area/chin bar can be tweeked for better flow or pattern. It takes nothing more that a little semi rigid padding to create better air passages. I have used closed cell padding to space the gap between the cheek pad and the air entry for better flow. It is not unusual to have a helmet that fits tight in the cheek pads to force the entry partially closed. So check airflow with and without the helmet on. Nothing more that a hot glue gun, and a pair of sissors, a razor blade, are required for tools and common hardware store foam tape. I have even used beach thongs/sandals for more rigid foam.
Related, it is highly unlikely that you can find a helmet that fits without making changes. Don't settle for having the cheek pads push your cheeks into your teeth if you open you mouth. Small changes in the thickness of the cheek pads can make a big difference in the helmet fit. So don't be afraid to pull the cheek pads out to cut them to fit right. Usually I would start by shaving each pad by an 1/8" off the back of the pad with a straight razor blade.
The helmet companies provide this service to the pros, the rest of have to fend for ourselves, or settle for whatever mass produced stuff they offer.

Dirty Harry

Reaction
The cheek pads in Impact helmets snap in place. You can easily change them out for thinner or thicker cheek pads.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
Just an FYI for you guys, Impact now has "V" cut cheek pads to eliminate the pressure on the ear problem. We can order them for you if they are needed.

Louis @ PCI

KiwiMike

Reaction
I run a HJC and like it for the most part, only thing is that the chin is closer then I would like. Which helmet brand offers the best chin clearance, or even models amongst brands.
Thanks

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
I run a HJC and like it for the most part, only thing is that the chin is closer then I would like. Which helmet brand offers the best chin clearance, or even models amongst brands.
Thanks

Depending on the model of HJC you have they run close. Typically the AR-10 style is a little closer than the Si-12.

This is an Ar-10
1329.jpg

This is a Si-12
1675.jpg

The new HJC Fi-10 is a top air model, and has the most room out of all 3

fi10right211.jpg

KiwiMike

Reaction
Thanks for that Racer_Dude, I run the AR-10 at the moment. The FI 10 doesn't look much different apart from the top air.
How much more chin room would you say there is? another inch? or 1/2 inch?
Cheers
Mike

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
Thanks for that Racer_Dude, I run the AR-10 at the moment. The FI 10 doesn't look much different apart from the top air.
How much more chin room would you say there is? another inch? or 1/2 inch?
Cheers
Mike

I would say that there is a good 1/2" more when I wear the Fi-10 compared to my AR-10. The front of the Fi-10 is egg shaped, giving the chin bar more of an "aero" package.

I can touch my mic with my lips on my AR-10, the Fi I have room for a finger between me and the helmet.

***** Helmets fit everyone differently, so this is my take on the fitment on me ******

ppumper

Reaction
I would say that there is a good 1/2" more when I wear the Fi-10 compared to my AR-10. The front of the Fi-10 is egg shaped, giving the chin bar more of an "aero" package.

I can touch my mic with my lips on my AR-10, the Fi I have room for a finger between me and the helmet.

***** Helmets fit everyone differently, so this is my take on the fitment on me ******

The closer your mouth is to the mic, the better it works. That's why we use boom mic's