• Forum membership has its advantages....

Recommendations for adjustable drop hitch and trailer brake controller???

atomicjoe23

I just got a 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 Quad Cab 4x4 (5.9L Cummins turbo-diesel/automatic); we got the truck because we needed better towing capacity.

The truck is lifted (not excessively so and the lift seems to have not cut any corners) and our utility trailer (which we use more than any other trailer) has a very low tongue so I need about a 6" drop hitch for that trailer. Our other trailers have tongues that are quite a bit taller so I would like to use a an adjustable drop hitch. I have never used/had a drop hitch before so I was hoping for some recommendations. I was initially looking at some of the aluminum ones (Anderson RapidHitch, etc.), but I don't want to limit my towing capacity with the ball hitch so I was thinking I would rather get a steel hitch (I looked at the B&W Tow & Stow, Pro Series, Curt, and Husky steel adjustable drop hitches on eTrailer.com).

Anyone have any feedback on any of these? Other Recommendations?

Also, I've never towed enough to need a trailer brake before(at least not since I was a 16 year old kid on the farm hauling livestock around, but that was 22 years ago), but now I will. . .so I need to install a trailer brake controller. I haven't even had time to look at these things yet so I was hoping for some recommendations here as well.

Thanks in advance for the help!

KTB Racing

I was looking into this one but never followed through with the purchase because my regular 2" drop hitch happened to be just right for my setup.

Channel Style Adjustable Ballmount - 2" & 2-5/16" Balls - 14,000 lbs Curt Ball Mounts C45900

I have this trailer brake controller and love it. Before I got my own tow capable rig I used my parents truck and they had a basic, cheap electronic controller and the brakes on the trailer always engaged really rough. I put this proportional style in my truck and will never use a cheap non proportional style again.

Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller - 1 to 4 Axles - Proportional Tekonsha Brake Controller 90885

atomicjoe23

Thanks KTB Racing!

I ended up purchasing a solid, forged Curt 6" drop fixed ball mount for now while I'm still researching the adjustable hitches. As it turns out, the two trailers that see the most use have the same height hitch even though they are VERY different sizes. . .plus I was able to pick it up from the local NAPA so I didn't have to pay for shipping or wait for it to show up. . .

Curt Heavy Duty Forged Ball Mount for 2" Hitches - 5" Rise - 6" Drop - 17,000 lbs Curt Ball Mounts C45342

I was gonna get the ball mount you posted, but they only had it in a 2.5" receiver configuration and the closest one in their warehouses would have required me to pay freight.

Checking out that trailer brake controller now. . .

51rcr

x2 on those items. got a few of them. one pintle attachment that fits them also. P2 I like the the boost so if loaded unloaded or other trailer. I think the p3 you can select from memory different trailers. but p2 ya just set voltage and boost 1 2 or3