BLUERIBBON COALITION, INC.

www.sharetrails.org

NEWS RELEASE

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

Bill Dart, AMA Dist. 36 -- 530.582.9912

Date: February 4, 2002

RECREATION GROUPS CHALLENGE TRAIL CLOSURE SUIT

IN ELDORADO NATIONAL FOREST

SACRAMENTO, CA -- Diverse recreation and access groups filed motions today to join a federal district court action involving Forest Service management of the Eldorado National Forest. The original suit was filed by Wilderness advocates who are asking for closure of trails in the Forest pending completion of more studies. In addition to moving to intervene on the side of the Forest Service, the access groups have sought leave to file cross-claims against the agency.

According to Rick Guidice, spokesman for the California Enduro Riders Association, "I think the recent suit filed by green groups to force a closure of many off-road vehicle and equestrian trails in the Eldorado National Forest goes too far. While I agree the agency may have mismanaged its trail program, we are challenging unnecessary closures and restrictions that ignore sound science, the needs of the resource and reasonable recreational access."

"I think the final outcome of our involvement in this lawsuit will be better management of the resource while at the same time providing a quality trail experience for off-roaders and equestrians," Guidice states.

The local, state and national interest groups filing today's motion include Friends of the Rubicon, California Enduro Riders Association, District 36 of the American Motorcyclist's Association, El Dorado Equestrian Trails Foundation, We the People, California Off Road Vehicle Association, California Association of 4 Wheel Drive Clubs, and the BlueRibbon Coalition. The recreational groups are represented by Paul Turcke of Boise, Idaho, and Dennis Porter of Redding, California.

# # #

The BlueRibbon Coalition is a national non-profit recreation group that champions responsible use of public lands. It represents over 1,100 organizations and businesses with approximately 600,000 members.

<font color=yellow>Paige<font color=yellow>