Recreational Radio advice

This old rz

RDC Crypto
OKAY. I'm looking for SIMPLE as POSSIBLE.
I am 100% unfamiliar with any radio format.
So I am inquiring about CB/ GMRS etc..
I want CHEAP & SIMPLE..and uncomplicated . By that I mean I do not want to sit there and have to pull out a chart program individual channels and all that stuff.. I want something that I can just pick up and use for the best efficiency for recreational use.
Simple as possible.
One thing I have noticed kind of where I live there does not seem to be a lot of difference between the gmrs and CB radio as far as distance and reception due to mountains and hills etc...
But that's just me asking questions...
The only experience with radios I've ever had were CB radios and some of them were "amplified" and when my older brothers when I was young.

So please advise me in what to aquire.. just to be clear I am not interested in a radio "hobby" I just want something that I can communicate in an emergency that gives me an option 👌 again .cheap as possible . Able to reach as many people as possible but also unlike gmrs in case the whole system crashes has it easily could would a CB be the old-time stalwart dependable.
OR IS THERE A RADIO THAT I CAN TALK ON THE NEWER TECHNOLOGY AND A CB AT THE SAME TIME?
I need to learn without spending hrs & hrs.. back in the day it was simple you just picked up a CB and turned it on.... that was it 😜

michael.gonzalez

RDC Crypto
Website
www.facebook.com
CB is garbage. GMRS is new and unknown.

Go with a VHF/UHF Radio.

Rugged Radio sells handhelds with programmed channels or you can get a Baofeng from Amazon and use the frequencies with a chart (or program yourself).

Advertising supports this site

green787

RDC Crypto
Website
realsound.us
OKAY. I'm looking for SIMPLE as POSSIBLE.
I am 100% unfamiliar with any radio format.
So I am inquiring about CB/ GMRS etc..
I want CHEAP & SIMPLE..and uncomplicated . By that I mean I do not want to sit there and have to pull out a chart program individual channels and all that stuff.. I want something that I can just pick up and use for the best efficiency for recreational use.
Simple as possible.
One thing I have noticed kind of where I live there does not seem to be a lot of difference between the gmrs and CB radio as far as distance and reception due to mountains and hills etc...
But that's just me asking questions...
The only experience with radios I've ever had were CB radios and some of them were "amplified" and when my older brothers when I was young.

So please advise me in what to aquire.. just to be clear I am not interested in a radio "hobby" I just want something that I can communicate in an emergency that gives me an option 👌 again .cheap as possible . Able to reach as many people as possible but also unlike gmrs in case the whole system crashes has it easily could would a CB be the old-time stalwart dependable.
OR IS THERE A RADIO THAT I CAN TALK ON THE NEWER TECHNOLOGY AND A CB AT THE SAME TIME?
I need to learn without spending hrs & hrs.. back in the day it was simple you just picked up a CB and turned it on.... that was it 😜

This is all you will ever need, however you will need to remove some resistors from the circuit board to get on the business bands that off road uses.... (easy to do).....

This old rz

RDC Crypto
Okay, I'm gonna need a layman's description ..

This is actually quite confusing..I still have No F-in idea about UHF/VHF and programming this & that, plus modifications etc. Licencing etc..
It sure doesn't sound easy @ all. Sounds overly complicated to me.

1st if all:
NO CHINESE products for me.
( Please no,mindless preaching Dribble) about how everything's Chinese....I get it. I've my reasons.
Thnxs👌

Regarding UHF/VHF
looks like
Yaesu and
Kenwood are still Japanese owned.
I've 0 problems w that.

I found out Google bought MOTOROLA, then turned right around & sold it to China.
So Motorola is ...out🖕👎🙄😂

I'll put some Questions at bottom after my "numbed" thoughts

FYI..I'm basically ONLY looking for a radio to use in a emergency..no car to car...etc .I don't like riding/driving with people much.
So don't really need that..at all.
Might be good to have , But not necessary to me.
I don't really want to have to study or pay for a yrly license etc..I just want plug & play and get reasonable expectations from such.

Some people I have talked to around here tell me there is "no reason" , that I shouldn't just get a CB as at least half the people buy them for their Jeeps, etc interstate truckers as well...
He said all the local 4x4 clubs use CB's as well as most all search and rescues..he knows utilize as well as other formats , so that would be super damn easy.
Plus probably find old USA one in an afternoon at any thrift store.😅
By far easiest. Just plug & play .The O'l stalwart seems the most practical..by quite a ways, especially if amplified.
Functional & dirt cheap! as well.. from what I've been reading,
I just DONT see any downsides? probably the way I'm gonna go, but open to the other formats.... if easy...and easy in the budget.. which means cheap for me 🥴

Back to VHF/UHF

What about something like or similar this? With the features listed below

Screenshot_20220805-235547.png

1.) Are there any under $150.00
2.) Can you plug in rooftop external antenna.
3.) Can I easily unplug & transfer it between my vehicles.
4.) Can ya plug em into your cars lighter?
5.) From what I've been reading the receiving)transmitting range in real world conditions is marginally to no better than a CB? when hills & mountains factor in, which is 99% of California..
6.( I'd like to spend no more than $200.00...if possible. As it's only for emergency if there's no cell signal, or typical survival poop hits the fan scenarios. Ya never know 👍

Let me know your thoughts on what I posted.. and any further advice I can learn from.

Thanks, I appreciate the schooling on the newer stuff..I've no clue as I've never even viewed one.

Last edited:

jon coleman

in n out.double double w cheese
RDC Crypto
sat phone?, if your radiophobic( or the icom, one small thingomobop removed, then program in all the race channels, did it my self& im Very tech UNsavy

Advertising supports this site

cm cm

RDC Crypto
This is the wrong place to ask this, of course racers are going to recommend writing blank checks to PCI/rugged or sat phones.

Radio isn’t really something you can just read a couple forum posts, and have a grasp on. It’s complicated. Very complicated.

Get a baofeng, figure out how to get on a suitable repeater, and make some friends who aren’t hardcore ham.

This old rz

RDC Crypto
Quality
Price
Convenience

Pick 2
Price & convenience for sure!

Might want to figure out who you would be talking to in an emergency and work back from there
Any one who would hear my voice, as mentioned most all of the local 4x4 clubs..etc.. ya know just literally anyone who could relay help if needed ...

Keep in mind, I'm not racing or following races..this is just for private use.. maybe? w couple others?

Honda48X

RDC Crypto
CB is garbage. GMRS is new and unknown.

Go with a VHF/UHF Radio.

Rugged Radio sells handhelds with programmed channels or you can get a Baofeng from Amazon and use the frequencies with a chart (or program yourself).
Go with the above. Have channel 16 US Coast Guard channel in it and they already come programmed. If you need frigging help pick up your cell phone and call 911. It works even when you have NO bars showing. Also you have the radio and can try and get someone on weatherman and if not go to channel 16 and ask for help.