• Forum membership has its advantages....

Red Bull is the future of broadcasting Baja races

J Prich

Good topic. Totally doable but no one sponsor should control a culture. The people from the culture should drive the boat. Red Bull has supported off-road for years, but it's up to us to create the type of coverage and story telling we want the world to see as a representation of our culture.
Without digging too deeply, I wonder if this comment is based on past experience...

trophygoat

MM, just out of curiosity, what is the hardest part of covering an event like the Baja 1000? Or what was the hardest part of the Mint 400 show?

JaysinDesignz

The big difference with WSL is the commentator desk. No standing on the side lines but perched and concentrated on news casting. The HUGE thing with SCORE is down time between racers coming into a feed with real action. Not just voom by boring.

Just imagine commentator desk watching trackers, talking about the racers and giving feed back about Apdaly and Rob just getting back on course at the same time. Then Lopez and Mac epic battle of off the hwy footage comes in from being uploaded by SCORE, fans on facebook or hashtagged.

By the end of a season or just a few races, spectators will learn about hashtag videos. SCORE can then almost instantly add them to the desk news announcement for the live feed. Lots wont be LIVE coverage but a few minutes or even an hour later. But, perfect filler material between official SCORE live feed sites on course being no action.
Now with facebooks new live feed. DUDERS its all right at the fingertips.

I know I would be tuned in longer watching online this way. I've been toying this entire model out in my head since day one. Especially after Dirt Live came to birth.

Yes, Red Bull does have the capabilities for this type of programming for sure - Their Red Bull Signature Series would be the obvious outlet. But there's a big problem .... Their main rival, Monster-Energy is the official energy drink of SCORE-INTERNATIONAL .... :rolleyes:
I was pretty irritated with Monster at the Baja 1000 last year for blasting their music while drivers were being interviewed, I thought it was totally rude. I was irritated enough to complain to the Monster rep for my company when I got back home.

MM, just out of curiosity, what is the hardest part of covering an event like the Baja 1000? Or what was the hardest part of the Mint 400 show?
It's justifying the cost. We spend more than anybody. Doing a point to point race would multiply that cost. It's totally doable. It just takes some hard work and investment. A bit of passion as well.

trophygoat

Red Bull and GoPro (the two giants in content marketing) have announced a partnership to do just this sort of thing GoPro and Red Bull Form Exclusive Global Partnership | Transworld Business
Maybe GoPro will create live stream cameras?
or can you do that already?
I know you can see the camera's POV for setup purposes but maybe they will expand that technology into a live-stream service for GoPro cameras that are right on the athlete. Now that would be something.

It's justifying the cost. We spend more than anybody. Doing a point to point race would multiply that cost. It's totally doable. It just takes some hard work and investment. A bit of passion as well.
I think the off-road community has proven that we can crowdfund like no other for a righteous cause. May be worth a shot.

biffgnar

I think the off-road community has proven that we can crowdfund like no other for a righteous cause. May be worth a shot.
Seems to me its more of what is the markets willingness to pay per view rather than a crowd funding exercise. This isn't really raising investment capital. Well, maybe a little up front for equipment, but it's primarily covering per race operating costs. And most of those costs are recurring costs race to race.

RacerX

Maybe GoPro will create live stream cameras?
or can you do that already?
I know you can see the camera's POV for setup purposes but maybe they will expand that technology into a live-stream service for GoPro cameras that are right on the athlete. Now that would be something.

GoPro already has a live feed solution. They introduced it at the NHL All Star Game last year.
https://it.gopro.com/news/gopro-and-nhl-new-partnership-will-change-the-way-you-watch-hockey

The big difference with WSL is the commentator desk. No standing on the side lines but perched and concentrated on news casting. The HUGE thing with SCORE is down time between racers coming into a feed with real action. Not just voom by boring.

Just imagine commentator desk watching trackers, talking about the racers and giving feed back about Apdaly and Rob just getting back on course at the same time. Then Lopez and Mac epic battle of off the hwy footage comes in from being uploaded by SCORE, fans on facebook or hashtagged.

By the end of a season or just a few races, spectators will learn about hashtag videos. SCORE can then almost instantly add them to the desk news announcement for the live feed. Lots wont be LIVE coverage but a few minutes or even an hour later. But, perfect filler material between official SCORE live feed sites on course being no action.
Now with facebooks new live feed. DUDERS its all right at the fingertips.

I know I would be tuned in longer watching online this way. I've been toying this entire model out in my head since day one. Especially after Dirt Live came to birth.
You are absolutely right - The WSL commentator desk is a big difference and would be a great model for SCORE to follow. In addition, the WSL production crew is top notch and knows exactly which cameras to air at any given time and there are a lot of them. The live coverage of the 2016 Eddie Aikau at Waimea Bay was absolutely spectacular, and watching it online or live TV was a great option due to traffic gridlock on the North Shore.Their commentators are true experts in the sport and know exactly what to say and when to say it. Overall an A+ with their event coverage and how they put it all together.

I'm not impressed with CBSC broadcasting the Baja events so long after it happens. Here you have professional surfing events which has a minimal fan base - much smaller than off road racing - airing their stuff live on TV all over the world. The local cable provider in Hawaii has two channels, 250 & 251 (HSURF & USURF) dedicated to providing WSL events 24 hrs a day 7 days a week showing live coverage as it happens anywhere in the world and constant reruns in between live events - you can even choose whichever event you want to watch again.

With all that said, I'm still grateful that SCORE has made the effort to have live online coverage, and I'm pretty sure that it will only get better in time. You have to spend money to make money - More exposure will bring more spectators and more racers, a win win for the sport of off road racing in itself. The Mexican economy and the membership of SCORE definitely has the potential to only increase.

Hendricus

I agree, the Redbull broadcast of Erzberg is done well. I did not watch it live. I did not watch all four hours either. I watched maybe 3/4ths of it.

Winning times for the bk1000 are 15 - 25 hrs. My guess is that the fan base to watch this race live is small, but fans might come and go, as we do in the chat rooms.

A bk1000 broadcast seems like it would have greater monetary value after the fact. Note that I (for one) did not watch Erzberg live. I like watching "racing news" at a time of my choosing. I won't stay home to watch any race. I would imagine that the online click value of the 2016 Erzberg broadcast, is still happening.

So what does this mean for the Baja races? It means you still need to run all the cameras (ground, in air, & in car), and you still need to create pro or ex-pro racer color commentary, but perhaps you could cut down the length of the program.

Then you need to figure out how to monetize the viewing of the coverage (the show) online.

As soon as somebody is hopeful money can be made here, they will do it.

Hendricus

Any company that sells products related to off road racing and off road recreation, should be interested in high quality video story telling. Such videos promote the life style products and services that these companies provide.

For one, we all know that Monster Energy Drink has the money to make a top dollar video production. Maybe Mad Media and/or Dave Cole need to present some ideas to Monster. A plan that gets them both motivated to take this on.

Companies such as Monster and Redbull know that creating these productions are another "great" way to put their brand in front of customers and potential customers.