Red/Green Sticker MX bikes

Kbach66

Reaction
Thought all of you dezert moto riders out there might like to see this. Looks like the days of the red sticker are numbered. Should help those of you who have red stickers and want to ride during the green sticker part of the year.

Big news for owners or buyers of bikes and atvs and the red sticker in
california.
the 3 or C vin number, 8th digit of the vin and the red sticker bikes is
over for all vehicles pre 2003 models should get green stickers as of today (3/24).

http://www.fourstrokesonly.com/StrtLicRef.html

SDranger

Reaction
is this true? I couldn't find anything on the DMV site. Does this mean i should be getting a green sticker in the mail for my 02 cr125??

97 Ranger 4x4
02 CR125

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I went to Chapparal today to look at bikes and nobody knew anything of this...I would like to know also.

OK I got my choices narrowed down to a KX 500 or YZF 450 and a KX 100 or CRF 230 for the Misses...what do you guys think? I like the 500 for the big power and low price...I can get one put a tank, pipe, stabalizer, 18 inch wheel, front and rear suspension and have some left over as compared to the new 4 strokes from Honda or Yamaha. The only advantage I see of the 4 stroke is that I dont have to mix the gas.

A side thought was an XR 650 with baja kit but that would suck at Glamis.

I dont ride tracks...just trails and a D37 race here and there. I am planning on the purchase at the end of summer when my school bills are paid off.

Let me know what you think of the bikes mentioned

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.barneysprecision.com/fabproducts.htm> Fab Parts</A>

robert_encinas

Reaction
a buddy of mine bought a new yz 450 a few months ago and that thing is awsome.the ergonomics are identical to a yz250 and i think they are only like 8 lbs. heavier.
he has had a yz250, yz490, and an rm250 and said he will never go back to 2-strokes if this is how the 4-strokes are now.

martininsocal

Reaction
This may not be what you guys think it is. A guy up in here in Big Bear specializes in turning non- street legal bikes into legal ones. Big 2 strokes, etc... Lately he has been unable to do it because the DMV has been denying licenses due to the fact that the bikes don't meet the VIN coding for emmissions. If you read the page, I believe it specifically brings up Dual sport bikes. Some bikes meet emissions testing requirements for California, but since the use is for Offroad, they never go through all the testing ($$$) the state requires. I think that is what this refers to. Modifying an offroad bike to be street legal used to be one of the best modifictaions you could do to improve use!

Martin

If your gonna go, go BIG