Redbull air races in SD

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
anyone ever gone? is it worth going to one of the days? I have heard mixed things. I kinda want to check it out but affraid its going to be boring.

Wilson

anyone ever gone? is it worth going to one of the days? I have heard mixed things. I kinda want to check it out but affraid its going to be boring.
Yes, I've been twice to the San Diego Red Bull Air Races. Twice was one too many times. The first time was fun, but I spent the second time watching the crowd "stupidity" - it was more entertaining than the air race.

A couple of things to consider:

1) You are not allowed to bring chairs into the viewing area, they want you to pay them (a huge amount of money) for that convenience..... They'll turn you away at the gates if you bring them (at least in the past they have, don't know if they've changed their policy). Makes for a long day just standing.....

2) Due to the proximity to NAS North Island, Lindbergh field and the San Diego Convention center, the race does not include any "aerobatic" turn arounds like in other venues.

3) Only one aircraft on the course at one time.

I wouldn't pay to go again, but it's worth going once, IMO.

bomber

It's worth going. There's many spots that are free to watch from and you can bring chairs, depends on where you view from. Both times I went to Coronado and viewed from the fairy landing area. There are a bunch of restaurants and shops there as well. Bring a bike to get around cuz unless u live there or get there pretty early you will have to park pretty far.

michael_loomis

Yes, I've been twice to the San Diego Red Bull Air Races. Twice was one too many times. The first time was fun, but I spent the second time watching the crowd "stupidity" - it was more entertaining than the air race.

A couple of things to consider:

1) You are not allowed to bring chairs into the viewing area, they want you to pay them (a huge amount of money) for that convenience..... They'll turn you away at the gates if you bring them (at least in the past they have, don't know if they've changed their policy). Makes for a long day just standing.....

2) Due to the proximity to NAS North Island, Lindbergh field and the San Diego Convention center, the race does not include any "aerobatic" turn arounds like in other venues.

3) Only one aircraft on the course at one time.

I wouldn't pay to go again, but it's worth going once, IMO.
Paying was your mistake... :)

Over on the beaches of Coronado, its pretty cool, free, and you can bring your chairs. I'm sure eventually it will get so full, they will find a way to try and shut that down. Although, the bridge might keep it limited enough. Motorcycles make it a breeze though.

I'd be going for the 3rd time, If I wasn't going to a desert race instead.

Watching them once is a must Gregg. The half time show is the Red Bull chopper doing some CRAZY stuff. worth seeing atleast once live. Oh ya, eye candy too.

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
sweet guys thanks for the info. we were planning on going to coronado. or possibly seeing if our buddy will take out the boat but thats a big if

Prerunin554

If you plan on going to Coronado, make sure to put on your walking shoes and arrive at least 1 hour ahead of time to find a free parking spot. There is parking up close to the bay, but it has cost (in the last two years) $20.

This is from the first year they were here:
http://www.race-dezert.com/forum/showthread.php?t=43493