RedHead Install Question

bmzero

I'm installing a FuelSafe dry break system on my Polaris RZR XP. Blue Torch Fab makes an adapter to connect a 2.5" hose to the OEM fuel tank. That hose will connect to a FuelSafe female dry break. My concern is that the factory air vent line will not be large enough to quickly displace the air during a fill. Does anyone know if this is a valid concern? The OEM vent line is pretty small. The factory tank holds just over 7g.

http://www.bluetorchfab.com/Product/1384/BTF-RZR-Fuel-Fill-Adapter.aspx

By the way, this is not a BITD car and our organizations do not have any fuel cell requirements. I do want it to be safe (ex. check valve, etc.), but I do not have any rules to maintain.

thanks,
-brit

racer56

You need the vent line to be at least 1" for the quick fill to work properly. If you are concerned about safety, you should really consider purchasing an approved fuel cell.

bmzero

You need the vent line to be at least 1" for the quick fill to work properly. If you are concerned about safety, you should really consider purchasing an approved fuel cell.
Thanks, that's what I needed to know. In the two series I run, changing to an aftermarket fuel cell requires me to change classes. I'm too far into the season to consider that move, but I agree that it would be a safer situation. However, this setup should safer than the OEM setup, especially in the case of a roll over and during the fill process.

thanks,
-brit

bmzero

Ok, so I installed the dry break before last weekend's race. The install went well.

It flows the fuel amazingly fast. However, these things are a major pain in the butt. The redhead leaks. Not sure how to refill the can w/o taking off the redhead, and the can empties itself due to pressure building up in the heat. If I open the vent valve, it just pumps the fuel out.

What the heck? Did I miss the class on how to live happily ever after with a dry break system?

-brit

Fourstroker

Ok, so I installed the dry break before last weekend's race. The install went well.

It flows the fuel amazingly fast. However, these things are a major pain in the butt. The redhead leaks. Not sure how to refill the can w/o taking off the redhead, and the can empties itself due to pressure building up in the heat. If I open the vent valve, it just pumps the fuel out.

What the heck? Did I miss the class on how to live happily ever after with a dry break system?

-brit
Slightly open the daybreak on the can and slide a zip tie through it. That will allow it to vent. Cut the zip ties right before you fuel.