Reflections on RDC

JenDiggityDirt

Reaction
A recent post has really had me reflecting on the past few years and all the great times I've had being a part of the offroad community. I'd like to sharre a little about what Race-Dezert has meant to me. The first time I saw RDC I was living in the high desert (this had to be about 5 years ago?) and I didn't even have a computer (does a really snazzy word processor count?). When mom got hooked up to the internet it was a really big deal and my little brother, Bobby, and I spent a whole day surfing the web. He showed me this really cool desert racing site he had seen at a friend's: Race-Dezert.Com! Fast forward to a year or so later and I was moved in with Greg and we had an internet connection of our very own. Race-Dez was pretty much the only quality desert racing site around, not counting Offroad.Com which just was too big to have the friendly feel of RDC. Greg spent so many hours looking at the ReaderZ RideZ over and over again and visiting all the sites in the LinkZ section. Back then, for those of you who are recent converts, the DeZert People forum was just this linear type board with posts appearing one right after the other in chronological order - no registration necessary - you didn't even have to post your name if you didn't want to (which eventually led to problems and was one of the factors in getting the new board). There were a handful of regulars who posted: Poolman, Junior, Ann, Sheryl, and Dani, Kreg, Klaus and John (of course) and a bunch of others I'm forgetting but hey it's late. It'd take maybe ten minutes on a good day to get caught up on all the posts before it really seemed to take off and get tons of people posting so that you could hardly keep up with the topics (thank gawd for the new board!).When we saw a few people posting about our first "Inland Prerunners" meeting after it had happened we were absolutely THRILLED and ever since then RDC has been a crucial part of our success. The people we've met through RDC have become great friends (I'll never forget meeting Klaus for the first time, at Chuck Strange's...I was so excited, it was like meeting a celebrity) and we'd be absolutely ignorant about the happenings in the offroad world if we didn't have such a convenient place to read all about them. I know that there must be so many other people whose lives have been changed because of RDC and all that Klaus and John have so generously done for us all. This board is so much more than a website. It truly is a community. I'm sure this kind of post has been made before but my gratitude for RDC has really been on my mind a lot the past few days so I thought I'd share how much this site means to me. Back in the day I could spend hours here and now I get so busy I'm lucky if I can check posts once a week, but it gives me this incredibly warm feeling to see everyone interacting in such a good way here and I just wanted to remind ALL the boyz of how special and appreciated they are.

sweetdevil

Reaction
Ya, I must say... you guys are awesome! How silly is it to say that I wouldn't be where I am today without RDC??? I started going to UP events before the track was built, and heard about RDC. I started meeting some cool people, going to more races, and just having a blast! Scott posted the job here at PCI, I talked him into hiring me.. lol. Klaus let Sarah and I stay at Casa De Kleezie in HB til we found our own place!
I'm really lucky to be a part of this awesome community! I wouldn't have this job, live in HB, or have any of the really great friends I have right now if not for RDC... Thanks Paul, Klaus, John, Jeff, Curtis and everyone else!

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
The first time I heard of RDC was at Laughlin like four or five years ago. I was up at the school and I think it was Juan B who was up there taking pics and I started talking to him. Long story short, he told me about the site and to this day my work has suffered!
Thanks for all you guys do!

Junior

Reaction
Wow! Great to hear my name as a "founder" of sorts......or is it "flounder?"

Poolman sent me to this site long ago. I probably have 100 great friends I can count on for anything anytime that I have met directly due to this site. Cheers! What was the start date of this site?

stuckthrottle

Godlike
Reaction
I dont remember how i found this place but it mustve been back in 96 or something like that. Way back when it was extreme-offroad.com. Later Klaus opened this place up and was looking for a name for the new forum, i was arguing with someone on the old board and typed something like 'you need a reality check' and that was the name that remained for a couple of weeks, 'reality check'.
Later he somehow came up with Dezert People which i think is a lot better and more appropriate, although sometimes....nevermind.
So thats how I ended up here.

poolman

Reaction
Same here Jen made some great friends on this site.Best of memories is running into Klaus and Pete in the middle of nowhere a couple of years ago at three diffrent mexican races.we all had a good laugh! Also RacnCpa and DC the mother and older sister of Desert racing.And Dani...

matt_helton

Racer
Reaction
you just gotta love this site. could there be any better place to get so many things relating to the racing/dirt community??? i dont think so. gotta give "mad props" to all the people behind this site that got it up and running and keep it up and running. KEEP IT REEL UP IN DA FIELD, AIIIGHT

SpitDirtCom

Reaction
I agree this site is the best. I first saw this site from the links page on prerunners.com. Its actually these two sites that got me in the groove to start spitdirt.com. Keep up the good work, it is greatly appreciated.

tim_krueger

Reaction
during the lonely years when i finished up college i wasn't financially capable to make it out to the dezert or the races. i frequented RDC to get my fix and stay abreast of the happenings. every day my life is enriched by RDC and the people who run it! (mad props to the UP crew too, coming from IP member 1007)
THANKS TO YOU ALL

slimjim

Reaction
i found RDC back when i was working at a dot com era company. i was sitting at my computer looking like i was working, but really i was shopping around for a way to spend all the money i would make when we went public. i found the RDC classifieds. i was always looking at the classifieds. back then, you could post a comment on individual classified ads. so somebody would post an ad for a truck for sale, then there would be like 25 comments about how it was a rip-off, or it looks like a good deal to me, or why did you paint it like that? well, the dot com went bust, but i am still checkin those damned classifieds daily. thanks all.

JrSyko

Jerry Maguire
Reaction
Yeah I remember those ads would get pretty vicious!! Kept me laughing though...

SpareChangeRacng

Reaction
Man I remember those days. Those ads were the best! I used to laugh my a$$ off at all the people calling each other hacks and whatnot. I can understand that it casues havok and why it was taken down, but sometimes I wish it was back up. The comments sure did seem to keep some of the "clutter" out of the DEZERT classifieds.
Even with all the clutter there is still not match for the RDC classifieds. I've bought most of my truck off this board, and sold most of another...

MikeLeung

Reaction
I have been on race dezert since the beginning...I think I was the 9th person registried. I even remember the BBS that proceeded race-dezert...does anybody remember its name? I remember the big thing on that BBS is the flame wars with "Steve Drapes"

RacnCPA

Reaction
How funny. Yes Jen this brings all the memories back, QUICK! Amazing how FAST the years go by. This was the first off-road site I had ever been too. And it is still the BEST.

I met Dez Chik, Princess Dani, Paul, Klaus, Poolman, Junior, Jeff, John, Hogg and loads of other people because of the message board. I even met you and Greg because of RDC. Thanks RDC for the memories and for a place to share my views on the sport I love so much. Good luck RDC!!!!

RacnCPA

Reaction
Oh yeah, that's funny. Steve Drapes drove people crazy trying to find out who he was. He sent me many private emails with his phone number and real name on them. But I'd never tell.

I was so computer illiterate Klaus set me up and emailed my instructions to me, LOL. He had everything printing in pink and named me PINKY (pre-Racncpa) while he and Paul laughed. I've made some life long friends from this place. THANK YOU.

dezertchick

Reaction
Mike,
You mean "extremeoffroad.com"?
I am showing how long I have been here...I remember back when one person was"boss hogg". And there were days of "Dukes of Hazard" jokes. The open board was too damn much fun. I can understand why it had to change to this format, but it was still very funny.

So were the classifieds, when you could post comments. I know one person who made it habbit of telling some guy what a " overpriced POS" the buggy he was selling was.

I met Klaus in 1999. He hooked me up for the Laughlin 2000 road crossing pass. Thanks, still to this day.

RacnCPA

Reaction
Nothing finer than being rachet-strapped to a bar stool at Slash X by Paul and Klaus. I mean I met them in a very unusual way!!! Too much fun DC.

MikeLeung

Reaction
No I dont think it was extremeoffroad. I want to say "desertracer" but I dont think that was right too.

Damn it!!! Now its gonna bother me until I rememeber...haha