Refueling - Spraying Fuel

jcorsico

Reaction
There have been many threads on refueling (with some heated opinions). Regardless, what is happening here?

Why is there residual pressure in the fuel cell? The vent on the Redhead should have relieved that pressure.

TMorford

Reaction
giphy.gif

jon coleman

Reaction
look at old le mans pit stops😨, this was a hickup, stuck qd disc, residual psi in tank, vent not venting quick enough, dirty k&n fuel vent filter,topped off fuel in filler neck pushing Back out fill qd, looks like pit guy tapped it,& it re seated closed,ready...... next......... theory......GO!

Klaus

Administrator
Reaction
look at old le mans pit stops😨, this was a hickup, stuck qd disc, residual psi in tank, vent not venting quick enough, dirty k&n fuel vent filter,topped off fuel in filler neck pushing Back out fill qd, looks like pit guy tapped it,& it re seated closed,ready...... next......... theory......GO!
Parts made in China? Ohh wait...this comment might belong into purple.

Dirtman

Reaction
That wasn't even a bad one. I know there are STRONG opinions that the PP system is totally safe and foolproof. It is not. If this was a one time incident you could make the argument but there are many videos showing much worse. No reason they should be allowed, gravity fed also is not perfect but at least its gravity fed and not pressurized. Unfortunately I'm sorry to say its gonna take a serious incident before this gets fixed, I sincerely hope those involved survive their injuries.

michael.gonzalez

Reaction
This seems more and more like the Redhead Drybreak is the common denominator when it comes to fueling incidents with both Gravity-fed and with PP fueling systems.

A more robust sealing system would help IMO.

OFFRD-JNKIE

Reaction
The biggest thing is makin sure you service all of the fueling parts after each race.... make sure they are not full of dirt and dust around the seals. As someone that has done fuel I always double check the red head to make sure it's clean. I also keep a rag in my pocket so that if the portal for fuel is full of dirt or dust I can take the extra second to wipe it off before stabbing it.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
if the vent is plugged or air movement is slowed by filter clutter, and you use a pressurized system, the bladder still expands and does that.

This is a dual hose system. The tank is vented out the second hose. If it's working properly the tank vent on the truck is not needed. All the spray happens after he pulls the hose, 100% seal issue in the redhead.

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
This seems more and more like the Redhead Drybreak is the common denominator when it comes to fueling incidents with both Gravity-fed and with PP fueling systems.

A more robust sealing system would help IMO.

It is. I think they are using square cross section o-rings. Not my first choice. Way to easy to catch a lip and unseat them.

At least with the gravity feed you have a deadman valve. Then all you have to contend with is hose volume. Which can be a couple gallons......

jcorsico

Reaction
This is a dual hose system. The tank is vented out the second hose. If it's working properly the tank vent on the truck is not needed. All the spray happens after he pulls the hose, 100% seal issue in the redhead.
Both the valve on the truck is spraying fuel and the valve on the hose is also spraying fuel. Why are they both spraying?

Why is there residual pressure in the fuel cell? I agree with you that, because this is a dual hose setup, there should not be any residual pressure. It all should have vented through the vent hose. But it sure looks like there is residual pressure.

MTPyle

Reaction
This case was on the deadman guy. First they didn’t have the hose pre loaded with the air removed. When they open the red head it hits the end hard and shakes so you can tell it’s got a lot of air in the tube.

then when the stab guy shook his head the dead man guy did not close the valve. So he pulled with pressure still in the hose. And the seals stuck as they were under pressure.

Good video of what not to do. There is a reason for the process that is taught. These guys did not follow the process and it shows.

Mike

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Had to watch it on a real screen, didn't notice the truck spraying on the phone.

But yes, the tank should not have any pressure in it. Something is wrong with the venting on the fill rig. The rollover vent on the truck probably floated up and closed that off creating pressure in the tank.

MTPyle

Reaction
The main vent rollover ball should be heavy steel and not able to “float”. the small vent with a discriminator valve should not be needed for filling. When filling the main large vent is more than enough.

It does look like a failure of the O ring on the hose side. Which would only happen if the red head is under pressure. If the system is used correctly and set up right there should not be pressure on the read head or that O ring.

I still think it’s user error.

Mike