Refueling - Spraying Fuel

jon coleman

Reaction
Or the smart thing of expensive one off danger riddled bombs to get an advantage for a month or three . Then everyone buy a bomb so the advantage is gone, more money spent and the cool part is the bomb is still w us .
lets go formula one, no refueling at all
But, random knuckleheads have got the rules enforced, and wins taken away.
And they are usually beer swilling haters

jon coleman

Reaction
Of course they have, they've even done it in professional golf. But that shouldn't be the plan.
" professional golf", whats that??ps Gotta check out Nelson Piquet s 82' first fuel pit stop, and the fuelers hand held 'pressure pro'

JDDurfey

Reaction
If a pit stop length rule was instituted the race car's tracker can keep track of the stop. And if the stop was shorter than the required time a penalty would be flagged, like missing a VCP.

I personally don't think that is the solution to the problem. I also agree with the post about fuel soaked Nomex a couple pages ago. I think requiring driving suits needs to be changed to some form of neoprene like suit that will not soak up fuel when sprayed.

cjohnson

Reaction
If a pit stop length rule was instituted the race car's tracker can keep track of the stop. And if the stop was shorter than the required time a penalty would be flagged, like missing a VCP.

I personally don't think that is the solution to the problem. I also agree with the post about fuel soaked Nomex a couple pages ago. I think requiring driving suits needs to be changed to some form of neoprene like suit that will not soak up fuel when sprayed.
Our tracker always freezes. Would be a lock to do a fast pit stop and have a tracker non-update period cover it up.

jon coleman

Reaction

like the fire fighters wear, heck, a gladd trash bag would be better, it would deflect a lot of fuel stream& not soak into the nomex underneath

fishd00d

What A Joke
Reaction
If you follow the instructions from Vince and have clean fuel ends along with a clean fuel cell red head female side you wont have issues. Everyone needs to watch this:

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Sitting here watching IMSA 12 hours of Sebring. Guess what? BMW had a fuel spray while refueling.
They were also doing a driver change.
So it's not just the pressure pro that sprays fuel.
Only issue I saw was way too many extinguishes at once. Both CO2 and chemical. And it looked more like a panic spray than trained people using them.
Make sure you train your crews how to use the extinguishers.
PASS.
Pull
Aim
Squeeze
Sweep

Also the drivers both wound up breathing a lot of the chemicals. If you are going to use the extinguishers, make sure you tell your drivers to turn off their air pumps.

Training and maintenance is always key.

MTPyle

Reaction
Here is a pic of our steel check ball for roll over. This is in our PP main vent. This will not close during fueling.

Mike

Attachments

• CA60B204-DC05-4A17-BCE0-AC9459181325.jpeg
    CA60B204-DC05-4A17-BCE0-AC9459181325.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 130
  • A8E60A02-A493-4D9E-B1BD-A1B3A067ACCA.jpeg
    A8E60A02-A493-4D9E-B1BD-A1B3A067ACCA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 132

JD sleinaD

Reaction
This seems more and more like the Redhead Drybreak is the common denominator when it comes to fueling incidents with both Gravity-fed and with PP fueling systems.

A more robust sealing system would help IMO.
Closed Loop Fueling...
System is US manufactured, cost effective and SAFE. Major US sanctioning body mandates the use for safety and environmental reasons.
Coupler.jpg

MTPyle

Reaction
We already have a closed loop system. It’s called a Pressure Pro. Haha

BCarr

Reaction
JD SleinaD - went searching for that system/approach...does the company have a web presence? Got a link?

Cheers, BC