Registering a trophy truck / custom build in AZ for legal street driving?

trentk

Reaction
I notice that most custom tube chassis truck/buggy that is legally registered has AZ plates and I realize that is because you can legally register almost anything here in AZ. I have gone through the process of getting a VIN tag and registering a custom built ATV here. I am wondering if anyone has done so for a trophy truck or other custom frame, non OEM VIN'd vehicle?

I tried to search the archives and didn't find anything.

Thanks,
Trent

BigBlue&Goldie

Reaction
My buddy did it recently on a buggy. You basically need to be able to provide receipts/pictures for the major components (chassis, motor, trans). They are then classified as "special construction".

trentk

Reaction
Thanks, on my ATV frame I also provided a 'certificate of origin' from the frame builder and that paper doc had a frame number on it that matched a riveted tag that was on the frame. I am not sure that is required though because it isn't like the frame builder was registered with the DMV and the DMV gave me a new state issued VIN tag that they put on. And it was titled as "SPEC CON" like you said.

They didn't really look at the receipts very closely, they just asked what "stated value" I wanted to put on it and they put that on the title.

Last edited:

Crusty Shellback

Reaction
Do you have a MSO (manufactures State or Origin) for the truck frame? That's usually where it starts. I know each state is different, but that's basically where they all start. Has nothing to do with the DMV. I can buy a frame from a company outside of the state and then use the MSO when I go to register it. Some states want a Proof of Purchase or Bill of Sale for all the big ticket items, motor, transmission, etc. to show it is not stolen.

Depending on the state, some will only register as special construction and have certain smog rules it must meet. Others will let you register it by the model year of the vehicle it most represents. If its say looks like a 64 XYZ, then you get to register it as a 64 XYZ replica and are exempt from the smog Nazi.

trentk

Reaction
Thanks for the info, I am only concerned with AZ rules and registering outside maricopa county so there is zero smog requirement.

I do not have a certificate of origin for the frame. But based on the one that was given to me for my ATV frame and how closely it was inspected when I had it tagged that leads me to believe it would not be difficult to create this document.

Robert Encinas

Reaction
Its easy in Arizona , basically as stated above the big ticket items( frame, engine, etc) have serial numbers and they will check to see if reported stolen. On a custom build they will list it as a Special construction as you stated above. For a trophy truck to be legal for road use in Arizona you basically need mirrors, blinkers and D.O.T. tires.There are only two counties in Arizona that do emissions testing; Maricopa and Pima( Phoenix and Tucson) and almost everything passes. Its definetly not California.

green787

Reaction
Why would you want to be on three wheels when you go left on the green arrow????

trentk

Reaction
Why would you want to be on three wheels when you go left on the green arrow????
A better question is why not?
But seriously I am asking this question in regards registering an old sprint car / nationwide series car. The only niche I could think of that has done this is off road trucks so I asked here. :)

Reaction
IIRC, a horn and eye protection are required.

trentk

Reaction
IIRC, a horn and eye protection are required.
That is true and last I checked they don't actually inspect it at least when it comes to getting a motorcycle plate for an off road quad. You just sign a piece of paper that says your vehicle has a mirror, license plate light, horn and a few other things and they give you the plate right there....thats after you have the title of course.

I found the list thanks to google:

Equipment needed for registration In order to get an ATV registered in Arizona it must have the following equipment:
• At least one brake that can be operated by hand or foot.
• Brake light.
• At least one, but not more than two, headlights that shine at least 500 feet ahead.
• At least one taillight visible for at least 500 feet to the rear.
• At least one red rear reflector, if not part of the taillight.
• License plate securely fastened to the rear of the ATV
• License plate light.
• Horn audible from a distance of at least 200 feet.
• Muffler in good working order and in constant operation. Muffler cutout, bypass or similar device prohibited.
• Rearview mirror.
• Seat and footrests for the operator.
• Fuel tank cap.
• If you live in the Phoenix or Tucson metro areas you may also need to have your ATV emissions tested.

JDDurfey

Reaction
I made an XR 600 street legal in Phoenix back in the 90's. Back then it did need to get inspected. I believe that changed after I did it. I took it to the DMV where they inspect the out of state cars that are applying for instate registration for the first time. The guy had a check list and since he was not very knowledgeable about dirt bikes passed me with non DOT tires, a squeeze horn, and no plate light. I didn't even have a plate mount. I drilled holes in my rear fender, XR fenders in those days curved down and the plate was perfectly visible during the daylight. I did add a brake light switch to rear brake pedal, but he didn't make me start the engine to show it functioned.

Once the inspection was complete I walked inside and applied for a street legal title. I then had to go do an emissions test before I could register it. I rode that bike everywhere. The only time I got pulled over was for a burnt out tail light. I had plenty of cops eye ball me and run my plate though, but never got a ticket.

Reaction
Many AZ retirees have replaced the golf carts of lore with a modern UTV. I even saw one with whitewall 14" street radials.

Most of 'em are street licensed.

ACME

Reaction
Have done a few buggies in Parker as well as a few sxs's.

If it's out of state and has paperwork it's easy. On a fresh build we had to get 2 of them inspected and a vin tag placed at the inspection station by the bridge and they wanted receipts. Windshield or eye protection wasn't required, just brake lights and they asked about a parking brake on one buggy. They do want a bond for insurance and you cannot have it street legal or have the AZ on/off hwy thingy without insurance. Our carrier for all our AZ stuff including Jeeps etc... was more picky about paperwork than MVD.

We may know where there is a legal street buggy vin#/regi/title on a chassis section that can be rebuilt up...

BANNEDFROMBAJA

2317 Cherimoya Drive Suite A Vista, CA 92084
Reaction
The dudes over at RGM actually did that a few years ago.

Attachments

trentk

Reaction
Does anyone know how they determine if a "special construction" title vehicle requires emissions? Is it based on the year of construction or what? My friend doesn't want to hassle with registering his nascar outside of maricopa county so I am worried he will need emissions.