• Forum membership has its advantages....

Registering Pre-Runner in CA or AZ

punchdrunk monkey

I just purchased a used Alumicraft Pre-runner and it was registered is AZ. I'm in CA. I was going to green sticker it, but after more thought, I think I want to plate it. I think at some point it was street legal in AZ (mount for wipers, high/low switch). Making it street legal in CA will be a lot of work and time. I've talked to Allan Fox at B & R buggies who has done a few of these. I am going to meet up with him to see how much work it will be. That got me to thinking about keeping it registered in AZ.

I see lots of pre-runners with AZ plates. What does it take to register in AZ? Do I need to own a house there (sounds like a reason to buy a river house:) ) How does insurance work if reg in AZ? Any insight would be appreciated! What about driving it in CA with AZ plates, will the BLM/rangers hassle me? I don't plan on driving the car in town but I would like to be able to go outside the Off Road areas (borrego/Ocotillo/ect)

I need to figure out which direction to go with this. I know I can't take the car into Mexico until I have the paperwork sorted out.

Also, What is everyone doing for insurance on pre-runners, both USA and Mexico? I guess this will depend if it is green stickered or plated. How do you insure in Mexico? If driving a prerunner on the hwys (in Mex) I am assuming insurance is required. I read the recent thread on insurance but that was more directed at salvage titles.

Thanks.

McCredie A

I have registered a couple cars in Az, I went to the DMV in Parker. It is very simple, however my parents do have a house in Lake Havasu. Does it have a VIN? If not you will need receipts for the big ticket items (motor, trans, etc). When I brought the buggy (Dejong Monster Manx) their we did not have any VIN's they issued the VIN for us (we had to buy a bond) looked over the car for some basic's. We did NOT have windshield wiper and a couple other small things. They told me I did not have to meet all of the requirements to register the vehicle. They were not concerned and said it would be a fix it ticket if I was pulled over.

I drove the car around the local deserts with no issue and I was pulled over a couple times vin street legal only washes in ocotillo wells. Once I provided them with current registration and insurance they let me go. I purchased insurance through a local agent in Lake Havasu. Having full coverage does help with eligibility for Mexico insurance if you want property coverage when traveling to Mexico.

I know the guys and B&R buggy/RPM muffler know their stuff about getting a CA plate. I hope this helps, good luck with your new car!

Anger Issues

Here is my two cents: I took my cal registered F-150 "pre-runner" to Az dmv in Bullhead city. It had a salvage title and therefore required a FULL inspection. I do have a "river house", but I'm sure you have a buddy with one who would let you use that address. You will need an AZ insurance policy (with proof) and if you don't keep it up, the DMV will apparently be notified by the insurance company it has lapsed, then your registration will be cancelled as mine was. No biggy to reinstate, just needed a new proof. That "pre-runner" is now the race truck to the left (avatar photo), but still actively registered in AZ so when I take it to Baja I have plates and proof of ownership. I keep a copy of the title zip-tied to the race truck.

My black Bronco is also now registered at same river house, and I drive it a LOT in Cal. I have only been harrassed once and frankly it was my fault because I forgot my old plate was bolted to the skid plate in front. The cop noticed I had two different plates (DUH). He asked a lot of questions, but no ticket. NOTE: AZ only gives you ONE license plate unless you get personalized plates. This kind of sucks because in Cal they can pull you over or hassle you about that. I just say I am visiting AZ or brought this car home from the river house to work on it. "It lives there". I have an Idaho driver's license, by the way, so it gets very confusing to the fuzz when they do pull me over.

Insurance for both is pretty cheap in AZ, and I ALWAYS get Mexi insurance (liability only) through Baja Bound who has a great website, it keeps all your cars and previous policies, and is VERY easy and fast to renew. Just printed out my 1-ton policy for San Felipe :eek:)

Hope that helps. If you are already registered in AZ I don't think there will be any inspection, just that proof of sale and that address where they will send your paperwork (title maybe) and renewals... which I think they are sending out e-mail notices now for renewals too.

punchdrunk monkey

Thanks for the input, keep it coming.

The car DOES have a AZ VIN.

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Come to wyoming we love out of state money plus we don't have a smog test, safety inspection, green stickers, NOTHING you will need a Vin inspection, proof of liability insurance, money, your done you don't even need a wyoming address how cool is that?

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
Plus you can keep your title in whatever state you want all your doing is licencing "IN" wyoming.

punchdrunk monkey

I think I found another option for the AZ reg. The UPS store(s) have PO boxes but they will give you a "real" address (no PO box). It will be the store address and then #xxx which represents your PO box. This might be a loophole for registering in AZ?? Has anyone tried this?