You know my wife Carol has been in the auto industry for over 20 years. She says it could get tricky -
• Do you have the title? SUPER IMPORTANT!!!
• Where is the car titled AND registered now?
• IF there is no title, make sure the title is "clean" (ie: no lienholder showing on registration), as you will need to apply for a duplicate title.
• How long had it been in AZ?
• Did you purchase it?
• CA DMV will want a Bill Of Sale.
• CA DMV will charge a "Used Tax" (8.75% Sales Tax in your area) on the full purchase price that is stated on the Bill Of Sale.
• Possible Smog Required.
• May need to be verified.
If you have a title (especially a CA title in hand) the process will be much easier.
Those are some of her thoughts.
Feel free to call if you have any other questions and she'll be glad to give any info she can.