Registration in Baja?

bajatex

Reaction
Whats the deal with taking a home built pre-runner buggy into Mexico? I have not gone through the registration process yet.
Do I need to be concerned?

BajaRun

Reaction
I was going into Ciudad Constitution one time and they had a check point setup in the middle of the day. The policia asked to see my Drivers License and my current vehicle registration, I gave it to him and he sent me on my way.... I would rather have it than not have it, however, I'm sure you can talk ($$$) your way out of any problems

bajabird

Reaction
I just crossed in TJ April 27. Got the green light while pulling trailer with 5/1600. Got sent to inspection area. The officer was nice and only wanted my registration. I didnt have it. He said it was mandatory to have. He then let me go on down after a nice conversation. No $$

Get papers of some kind. Be prepared

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
Funny story, A while back I crossed at Tecate with My KLX300 in the back of the truck. Got flagged over and they wanted to see registration for the bike. I didn't have it so I handed him the insurance card for My KLR650. He looked at it for a second then waived Me through.

Just take some official looking DMV paper work with you......

harleys dad

Reaction
I just crossed in TJ April 27. Got the green light while pulling trailer with 5/1600. Got sent to inspection area. The officer was nice and only wanted my registration. I didnt have it. He said it was mandatory to have. He then let me go on down after a nice conversation. No $$

Get papers of some kind. Be prepared
I agree, I have gone down dozens of times with no paperwork for my race cars BUT how would you prove it is yours if the decide to take it?? I just registerd my class 11 with a green sticker for the 1st time. Cost me 53 dollars and its good threw 2011. Stupid law for smog kept me from registering it for the street. The way things are these days connect your vehicle to you threw the DMV. If it is connected to you via licence they cant just take it from you, or if they do you have proof it is yours.

TCRAFT

Reaction
To register the vehicle is so easy....Set up an appointment with your local CHP office for a vin verification/VIN replacement tab. The issue you a new VIN number and thats it. The Officer comes out looks at it and asks you what you are going to do with it Off road only or street too. Tell him OHV only and they give you a VIN tab and pop rivit it on. Go to DMV stand in line with the paperwork from CHP and bam you got paperwork. Plus fees which are nothing. Thats it. If CHP or San Diego PD are working the border on grant funded operations they can and will impound it for importation reasons. So its a 50/50 chance....Just for info

Reaction
I believe your vehicle can be impounded right here in the US if you can't produce proof of ownership. Well, at least in California.

Oops, TCRAFT beat me.

JPBart

Reaction
Any paperwork is better than no paperwork. 99.9% chance you won't need it but it will suck if you do.

Petepecas

Reaction
Funny story, A while back I crossed at Tecate with My KLX300 in the back of the truck. Got flagged over and they wanted to see registration for the bike. I didn't have it so I handed him the insurance card for My KLR650. He looked at it for a second then waived Me through.

I dont advice taking the risk, you may get an arse h and they have the power to take your vehicle, how much is it to get a green sticker at least?
I bet your prerunner is a lot more;)

bajatex

Reaction
OK I'm convinced. Time to make an appointment with CHP, Thanks guys. Bye the way I will be going from the KOA in Tecate to Mikes via the pine forest on 6/5 Friday with one other buggy if anyone wants to hook up. We will be staying at Mikes FRI and SAT night then back up the coast on Sunday staying in Ensenada Sunday night then Back through the pine forest Monday to KOA.

Tex

310Kid

Reaction

LOL this is true.. Friends and i went to Mike's ranch and i didnt have paper work for one bike. I remeberd i had paper work from a quad i had at home and used that to cover the bike and it worked. :)

Reaction
But so did Bernie Madoff's fraud - for a while. Good Luck!

partybarge_pilot

Reaction
OK I'm convinced. Time to make an appointment with CHP, Thanks guys. Bye the way I will be going from the KOA in Tecate to Mikes via the pine forest on 6/5 Friday with one other buggy if anyone wants to hook up. We will be staying at Mikes FRI and SAT night then back up the coast on Sunday staying in Ensenada Sunday night then Back through the pine forest Monday to KOA.

Tex

We should be passing through Mikes about lunchtime on sat.

KC Amigo

Reaction
We cross our car regularly and it's now pretty standard that they are going to ask you for the registration. I would get it registered. Don't give anyone an excuse to hassle you.

El_Dude

Reaction
i was sent back to the states for not having the current registration for my quad.. i showed them the old one and it wasn't good enough..