removable steering wheels

gary

Reaction
does anybody have an opinion on removable steering wheels? as i happen to work in the fine city of norwalk, and there has been an employee car stolen about once a month, i'm gettin' nervous. kragen has the parts to make my wheel removable (it's a Grant), but they're like $80. McKenzie's does too, i think, for considerably less. security is more important than $$, i know, but not sure if it's the same parts, etc....
just wonderin' what everyone thinks about 'em?

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
i currently have a removable wheel. I didnt get it for security purposes, but it works well for that as well. In order for a removable wheel to be street legal, it must have a locking device on the hub rather than a quick release. There are many companies such as Momo and Grant which offer these. It is a good idea for security purposes cause knowone will try and steal your truck. Also the hub does not change the solid feel of the original wheel. Just be careful, because they can run into a lot of money when you take into account you have to pay for the wheel, and if the hole patter from the hub is differnt, then you have to buy or make an adapter, and then also pay for the removable hub. I personally went the non street legal way, and got a quick relese hub and had Duffco weld on a new spline. He also made an adapter to my sparco steering wheel. I am very happy with the work he did for me.

"Those who risk nothing are nothing."

Waldo

Safehouse
Reaction
I had a removable Grant in my Toyota. I purchased the adapter from Grant as well. I think it was a 5/8" spline that fit right over my steering shaft. I just welded it on and it was good to go. I didn't know about the legal issues but it did have a pin in the hub for a locking mechanism.

As for security I would recommend it for sure! You can just take the wheel out and leave it in your work or house when needed. The only thing I thought of was someone putting a pair of large vice grip pliers to steer if they wanted to steal it. I think that would be pretty tough though. Besides, if someone is looking to steal a car and they see one w/o a wheel...I think they would pass it over. Plus, it's a pretty cool conversation piece.

BRAAAAAAAAP!

tkr

Reaction
There is a Jeep parked in front of my house every night that has a removable wheel with a housing around the shaft preventing the use of vise grips or anything like that. I've never paid to much attentin to it, but I'll take a look next time I see it and see if there's a brand name on it.

Matt Nelson
Team Kwik Racing

Jack

Reaction
That is the Grant one, I had it on my CJ5, the only problem I had is that it moves the wheel about 1.5" closer to you, big deal in a 5, but nice to get out of the way for other activities.

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
one more thing, if you currently have an air bag, it is illegal to replace that with a non airbag wheel. Also, the locking hub that I am refeing to, to be legal, must have a key type lock, not just a pin or ball bearing to keep it inplace. The ones that are legal have a key that can only be removed if it is in the locked position, so you cant leave it unlocked while driving, unless you leave the key in.

IDRA_CRB

Reaction
Shaun,

I work for the CHP and am unaware of any law prohibiting the removal of airbags. Do you know a vehicle code section for this?

Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards (FMVSS) such as those which require a manufacturer to equip new vehicles with airbags only apply at the time of manufacture.

I think the main issues would be:

1) Removing them safely and avoiding an accidental discharge;
2) Reinstalling them before reselling the vehicle.

Regards,

Reese

TRDshaunTRD

Reaction
i think that the standard is an overall modification of safety equipment, which includes things such as air bags, seat belts, bumpers, etc. My air bag went off durring a race, and so I didnt want to pay $2500 for a new steering wheel and air bag, so I went with no air bag and a sparco steering wheel. I have only heard that it was illegal, but I don't know the specific code, maybe you could help me out on that one. Also, If I sell the truck to a private party, would I have to replace the wheel with an air bag one, or could I just have the guy sign something saying that he knowingly took the truck that does not meet safety standards. The way I figure, I have a harness, mastercraft seat, and a roll cage, so I no longer need an air bag. So even though it may not meet safety standards, it is actually safer.

Kritter

Krittro Campbell
Reaction
I am pretty sure because companies like Momo will not sell a wheel hub for a car that comes with with an airbag unless it is an off road use only car. I think it is a liability issue.

Kris
<A target="_blank" HREF=http://www.dmsrace.com>www.dmsrace.com</A>
"Jesus loves you, everybody else thinks you're an A-hole"