Removing coil over shocks. Use a spring compressor?

Radiobirdman32

Reaction
I was wondering if most guys use a spring compressor to R&R coil over shocks and if so do you use 1 or 2 compressors? I have 2.5 kings. Thanks , Armand

gwizz

Reaction
depends on who set up the springs, really the only way to find out is to start taking it apart. some kits come with a single main spring which is longer than the shock and needs to be compressed to even get the adjusters to work. generally tho you dont have that issue unless someone intentionally did it for pre load.

Radiobirdman32

Reaction
Thank you very much. It just looks like a lot of tension even once it's jacked up at full droop. Maybe it's jut because I am used to dealing with the old torsion bars. Cheers, Armand

gwizz

Reaction
Thank you very much. It just looks like a lot of tension even once it's jacked up at full droop. Maybe it's jut because I am used to dealing with the old torsion bars. Cheers, Armand
ya its supposed to be "loaded" like that fully extended. thats what pre load is and its essential to making the shocks work right. you more or less tune your rebound to your spring rate. think of the spring rate at full droop and what would happen with the valving if the spring rate started to fall off to zero as the shock fully extends with out preload. vs with.

Radiobirdman32

Reaction
So I suppose that it can't extend much more than that once i take the bolts out. It just looks like a lot of potential energy.

Reaction
^^^ Oh yes it can, be careful. Back off as much preload as possible BEFORE removing shock. Even with a little preload, it's going to want to extend to the full extension of the shock shaft, and rapidly.

It IS a lot of potential energy.