Removing dents from frame tube

johndjmix

Reaction
Has anyone found a good method for this? I have one on the lower front tube behind the wheel that i need to get out.

I was thinking of trying the compressed air and torch method. Weld in a fitting, pressurise with 100psi and gently heat the dent and it will come out. This works great on thin tubes, but never tried it on 0.95 or 1.25 tube wall thickness's.

Option 2, heat the dent, drill a few holes and spend hours with a slide hammer. Urgh....dont want to do it this way.

Option 3, replace the tube. Its a long tube with a bunch of bends. Not an option currently.

Any ideas?

--John

cjohnson

Reaction
Leave it. If it's so bad it has to be removed then the tube should really be replaced. Another quick and dirty repair is to cut out the bad section and weld in a new piece. Use two pieces of smaller diameter tubing to reinforce the butt welded seams. Use several plug welds to the inner tubes. You have to leave one or both of the inner tubes loose to install this setup in the middle of a tube then slide everything into place using the plug weld holes. Leave enough gap on the other tubes to just fill it in when everything is welded up. Grind it smooth and it will be very strong and nearly undetectable.

johndjmix

Reaction
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I’ve sleeved tubes before. Just did lower frame tube on my UTV. Just wondering if anyone had a trick.

—john

cjohnson

Reaction
I see. You could try a stud gun instead of the old style drill and screw slide hammer method. There are clamps that pull on a bunch of studs at the same time. I've had good luck pulling dents out of frames that way. Some people weld washers on edge in the dent, heat, pull, then grind the washer off.

_p_3_p31041.jpg
1080.jpg

E.Hagle

Reaction
Replace the tube. Not sure how critical or load bearing the section is. You seem to know enough to know that bringing the material back out will only fatigue it further.

Zambo

Reaction
Does it need to be pretty or just strong? You can laminate a "patch" over the dent using the next size bigger tubing. I've done this to the tubes behind the front wheels on both sides of my CanAm

jon coleman

Reaction
Seems to me if you have a tube chassis, every tube is integral to the strength of the chassis. Cut it out and replace it. No tech inspector will pass a bondo'd tube chassis.
oh, i thought it just had to get through the wholesale dealer auction, like when we used to get bikes ready at cycle express in El Cajon back in the day👍😉

cjohnson

Reaction
Seems to me if you have a tube chassis, every tube is integral to the strength of the chassis. Cut it out and replace it. No tech inspector will pass a bondo'd tube chassis.
I am appalled someone would take bondo seriously for a dented chassis tube when duct tape is a better color match. Silver for raw cages, brown for cages with some patina.🤣🤣🤣