• Forum membership has its advantages....

Reno area testing

da223

Living in southern Oregon makes testing difficult for us. Nothing very close to home at all. Just looking at options for us if anyone has any ideas.
There’s a few obvious areas but
I figured some of you could help shed some light!
Thanks

Bro_Gill

Been to races out near Paisley Oregon. Otherwise, east of Reno, Weeks has been the site of many off road races.

rocky4by

Not to high Jack your thread, but we are also looking for a spot aorund Reno to test our 10 car , We are from Selma Oregon. What class do you race in?

FourLow

There's tons of spots around Reno. Feel free to send me a PM.

jackassracing89

No better way to test than to race! Curtis is right, Weeks is a great place to test and it's about 1-1/2 hrs east from Reno. There is a couple parks north of Reno as well. Fort Sage OHV and Dry Valley OHV. Fort sage has a ton of sand and silt, Dry valley has a little bit of everything. Both parks are about a hour north of Reno on highway 395.
We will have a race in Fallon July 18th and another one in Yerington NV on Labor day.

da223

Thanks for the info guys. I think the only race series I have not attended is a Vorra race. But I’ve heard they’re events are cool!

Testing is very important for me with major adjustments. But I’m quirky I guess!

isdtbower

FAllon would be a great place to shock and suspension test. Generally Southwest across the highway from "Sand Mountain". That would be a straight shot down from Denio. Denio doesn't usually have gas so prepare to go totally from Denio to Fernley as no other stations. Someone might give you some old race tracks to get you going. Careful on your first pass!!. Actually, how about something around Alvord dry lake?? In that Area I have only been on real old two track or graded road. Anything really aggressive is single track or in old MC race courses near N. Fernley where you have to dodge Indian res's.

Last edited:

da223

FAllon would be a great place to shock and suspension test. Generally Southwest across the highway from "Sand Mountain". That would be a straight shot down from Denio. Denio doesn't usually have gas so prepare to go totally from Denio to Fernley as no other stations. Someone might give you some old race tracks to get you going. Careful on your first pass!!. Actually, how about something around Alvord dry lake?? In that Area I have only been on real old two track or graded road. Anything really aggressive is single track or in old MC race courses near N. Fernley where you have to dodge Indian res's.
Yes went to Alvord a few times hunting. Not the best for the race car that I saw! Old race files would be awesome!

isdtbower

I screwed up Denio drops you into Winnemucca and then back to Fernley. 395 is a way to get to Reno then further east. Dirt road 6A in Northwest Nevada is a very fast and well maintained dirt road. North to south. That drops you to Gerlach (Burning Man) and then good pavement into Fernley. Sorry about that. There is also Prairie City near Sacramento that has a challenging short track. State run. See if you can do Vorra at Fallon. Pre-run/test and have some fun race'in the dust.

Bro_Gill

Lots of great memories from Weeks. Prerunning and coming over a hill and ending up driving along side a herd of wild Mustangs. Great memory.

Weyrichs put on a race at Paisley in the early 80's. Text Scott Strong in Grants Pass at 541-seven6one.4seven9one. He and some other friends where organizing a race outside of Paisley a couple of years ago, until BLM wanted an EIS - real expensive. He can fill you in on details.

da223

Weyrichs put on a race at Paisley in the early 80's. Text Scott Strong in Grants Pass at 541-seven6one.4seven9one. He and some other friends where organizing a race outside of Paisley a couple of years ago, until BLM wanted an EIS - real expensive. He can fill you in on details.
That’s interesting. We truly enjoy the desert as well as going to Nv/Az/ca for racing Doesn’t bother us at all. But, testing close to home is the biggest problem. It’s not terrible just a little inconvenient. But races closer to home are not bad either

But, some people say testing is not important 🤯

bajascott1

There are some places Up near Redmond/ Bend that are decent and , I hear there is an area out past cave junction, but never have been over to look. It’s been a struggle to find anything close . I have been out in white city at the ohv park with my 16 car , but had to do 100 laps around the place get my shocks warm, but then you have to deal with everyone wanting to talk to you and ask a million questions.. haha

da223

There are some places Up near Redmond/ Bend that are decent and , I hear there is an area out past cave junction, but never have been over to look. It’s been a struggle to find anything close . I have been out in white city at the ohv park with my 16 car , but had to do 100 laps around the place get my shocks warm, but then you have to deal with everyone wanting to talk to you and ask a million questions.. haha
Ya, China Hat is up there. Never heard of anything past cave junction but I have done some wheeling out there and it’s a rocky mofo. Systems test can be done at the white city ponds but your correct it does not allow for much! It’s really small.

sounds like this question is going to help myself and more people than I thought. If you guys go test anywhere send pics or videos and I’ll do the same!

bajascott1

I have route files somewhere from our Paisley course that we mapped a few years ago. I’ve been in contact with another guy who wants to pick where we left off on that venture.
I’ve only been to China Hat a couple of times, but out in millican at 4 corners there’s some decent routes to test on. I’d upload video from a session we did a couple years ago but they are too large .
There is also a place in susanville called fort sage ohv park there was a VORRA race there last year . I diddnt go but it looked like it’s was good. Dusty as hell though.