Reno course terrain info????

sqrly1776

Reaction
Wondering what the terrain is like out there.
Talking to one of the HDRA officials I believe his words were `we are literally moving mountains`
Does this lead to razor sharp shattered rock? Does this lead to buried boulders that will get churned up?
Any info would be greatly appreciated..............

65fordls2

Reaction
Here is a pic directly off of the HDRA facebook. From what I have read almost all of the course is new so I'm guessing it will be just like this.
291603_262195407215550_1990268993_o.jpg

SpeedBump

Reaction
Good question. We are packing our spare tires this weekend and need to decide if we need to take extras. How many?

y2kbaja

Reaction
At the XO250 in 2010 they cut a new canyon in 24 hours to make a loop due to private property. Here is the in-car from that section. My first time thru my jaw dropped as I couldn't beleive they freshly cut this course.

Replacement String:

Prepare for lots of single track, mountain, sharp edge rocky roads with boulders strewn just about everywhere. We weren't given a chance to prerun the XO250 otherwise we would have moved a ton of boulders off the course. The eastern loop we ran had some good silt hills. The western section was very very rocky. No lake beds or high speed sections in that area so put your low gears in. Bring lots of spares, take your time, it's a 500 mile race, keep track of your competetors and let the track beat them first, then you race to win.

Last edited by a moderator:

y2kbaja

Reaction
And our video from the race. Most of this course you will see.

Replacement String:

Layton

Reaction
I heard tha the course will be fast in sections, slow in others. There will be some dust and a even a jump or 2! Bring everything this is offraod, what you don't bring you will need!

Double Down

Reaction
And our video from the race. Most of this course you will see.

Replacement String:
This course is much different from the course that was run for the Grand Sierra XO 250. The canyon that was cut for the XO will not be part of this course. This course will not use much pavement either. All of the areas that were narrow are wider now. This course runs south into the valley near Dayton and has around 50 miles of new course mileage. I came in 2nd overall race racing a Jimco class 1 with John Harrah in the XO. The car we were driving was wider than the road in many places and there were large boulders hiding behind every bush, so you had to be right on the money every second. I had the two fastest laps of the race despite the narrow course and had a blast with the challenge. We have had Wide Open Reno operating on the property since last summer and that has forced much of the clean up on roads that were used for the last 135 years by miners, sheep herders and cattle wranglers.

Attachments

AZBadseed

Reaction
Bring tires. The course is awesome! Lots of rocks though. Hopefully all the pre-running will help with that! Awesome job Roger, Robert, Gene, and the whole Crew. It looks great out here!