Replace V6 3.5L "Shortstar" Motor

OffRoadRCRatHart

Reaction
My 4 seat dual sport desert buggy currently has a "Shortstar" 3.5L DOHC V6 motor and am thinking on changing the motor for a newer model V6 engine. Does anyone know of a strong V6 motor that will work without modifying the engine mounts and other engine parts? The Shorstar is a great motor but if I need to replace the motor I was thinking on trying something newer and better (quicker / reliable).

dzrt performance

Reaction
the problem is your North Star bell housing pattern. I am not aware of anything else that is a simple replacement other then the V8 seriers of Northstar engines.

more than likely you have an adapter plate for this engine so you arent entirely out of luck. If you insist on staying v6 the honda odyssey motor is a good choice and simpler to work on.

whatever you choose, engine mounts, adapter plate, plumbing and so forth will be different.

Ty Owings

Reaction
I ordered some parts recently for our northstar in our car. I’ll have to check out where I got them from as I know they had shortstar parts.

My dad and uncle built sandcars and desert cars and they used a lot of shortstars. However when the buyer didn’t want a short star I believe they used the j35 I believe.
Check out @dunewhor on instagram. He has a bug with a v6 out of a junkyard. Motor runs pretty healthy. I don’t know exactly what motor it is though. ?Honda v6?

Sent from my iPhone using race-deZert

Desert Dog

Dakar Finisher
Reaction
How about the Pentastar 3.6L engine? Albins have an adaptor plate for this engine. We currently have two buggies running Pentastars and are having a lot of success with them.