replacement parts

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
has anybody else had trouble finding stock parts for there 2000 and newer trucks? I have a 2000 2.2L chevy s10 and my power steering pump blew today. i called Napa, pepboys,kregan, auto zone and they all said NO. also back around thanksgiving i was looking for a fuel filter and all the above said no on that part also..

oh well i had to get one and i went to the dealer $130 down the drain for the power steering pump and i think i ppaid 90 bucks for the fuel filter.

next time the pump goes out i guess i drop the $350 for a howe setup tey said they could do it so ill do it next time.

any easy way to get the pulley off it looks like a press fit over the saft.

thanks,
Gregg

michael_loomis

Reaction
how many miles on your truck ? P/S pump is under 3/36,000 warranty ..... dealer took mine off and rebuilt mine under warranty (travis i dont want to hear it!!)

1992f150

Reaction
90 bucks for a fuel filter??? did they replace it for you too or just for the part?

Azusa: shame of the foothills

michael_loomis

Reaction
you the fuel filter is pricey its 50 bucks alone 40 to install .... i had to do the same ....all cause i was too lazy and i didnt want fuel all over my face.

there arent any rubber lines to pinch off at the filter (by the tank , on framerail) its all metal lines.

apprentice

Reaction
Have you tried taking the the fuel pump relay out of the fuse box, then crank thed engine and let it run till it dies. Turn the key off and on again , cranking for a few more seconds? This will relieve all the pressue in the lines and will allow the fuel line to be plugged off with a line plug to stop any residual leakage. Just a thought. Should only take about 15 minutes to do.
Shane

Happiness is waking up to a job you love

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
i have like 43500 miles on my truck and yeah i think the fuel filter was 90 bucks uninstalled. i went to the shops and they had a fuel filter that was not the same as mine. i hada filter that an 02 truck had and at the time didnt know and so i had to go to the dealer. what a rip but i had to do it.

Gregg

DMSCHASE

Reaction
A fuel filter for a S-10 is only $25.00 from Pep Boys. $90.00 is just outragous. Real price gouging.

James
dmsrace.com

www.dmsrace.com

dezerts10

BANG!! BANG!!
Reaction
yeah i know but for some reason my 2000 s10 fuel filter was different form all the other fuel filters the different places were calling out. later i found out at the dealer by looki9ng a 02 s10s that m y fuel filterwas like the 02 s10s. i dunno what the deal is but i have differnet things on my truck then anyother 2000 s10 i have seen.

Gregg

mxjeremy

Reaction
Isn't it bad to run a fuel injected engine out of gas? I thought that when it starts starving for fuel (running lean) the injectors would get too hot and get burnt. I know new injectors cost a lot of money. I don't think it's worth the risk. I did change a Tacoma fuel filter which was hardlined the same way and I got a bunch of gas on the driveway, but I was sure to wear goggles so that it wouldn't splash in my eyes.

Oh yeah, don't smoke or weld near the area you are doing the fuel filter swap.
late.

tedmales

Reaction
it does not hurt the injector to run out of gas. if it was run for hours without fuel maybe , but just to drain the fuel system no. the only way to really make the injector to pulse would be to crank the engine for a long time without fuel and that would hurt more that the injectors.

life is too short to be small

1992f150

Reaction
alot of trucks have a fuel pressure bleed off valve too under the hood.

Azusa: shame of the foothills

DMSCHASE

Reaction
I know that at least on Chevy's that if you run it out of fuel a lot that it damages the fuel pump.

James
99 Chevy S10 ZR2
www.dmsrace.com

www.dmsrace.com