Replacement Tire for Desert AT695

BCarr

RDC Crypto
Ok so I am out of my stash of Dunlop Desert AT695's, and could/cannot not find the Desert AT739...

...so I put some Shinko 216's on the XR650 and well, the tire works at lower pressures (12R/14F -ish <- which the lower pressures freak me a little).

And Shinko 216 rear wear is interesting...monster still loves to eat while pavement pounding to get to dirt riding SB backcountry and of course the open desert.

I miss the Dunlop experience. Set it and forget it kind of thing. And now what the heck is this Geomax tire line? Sometimes I wonder what Dunlop is thinking about.

To a wider audience that rips all types of open desert, I ask what tires are the kewl kids running on the big-bore moto's these days?

Thanks in advance!

m_martin53

RDC Crypto
I had a 2003 XR 650. In the front we always ran a pirelli scorpion but I forgot what the old name for the tire was. Now I think they changed the name to the scorpion xc mid hard. Rear was Dunlop at81. Ran the same combo on my KTM 450 for racing out in d38. Worked well for me.

Advertising supports this site

BCarr

RDC Crypto
Hey m_martin53, totally appreciate the response and sharing your knowledge.

The AT81 is on my short list now and might be the next choice, thanks again.

Always open for input on moto tire use in the dez...they don't last that long so we are always replacing!

partybarge_pilot

RDC Crypto
My KTM came with the at81. Good traction and decent life. Very comparable to the 739.

I just got one of the hybrid ones for Colorado this summer. We'll see how it holds up.

BCarr

RDC Crypto
Hey PBP, thanks alot on the AT81's relation to the 739. Which hybrid tire you get?

Side note...on the Dunlop webpage, I found that the AT81 also comes in an AT81RC where the "RC" is "Reinforced Construction." That's likely the next tire.

BajaBubba

RDC Crypto
I have been enjoying the Kenda K270 rear tire. It is a pretty solid option with great longevity IF the type of desert you are riding is mostly hard pack, gravel or light/medium sand. I run the 5.10 K270 with a platinum nitro mousse and its a pretty bomber setup. The K270 is DOT approved and does well on the pavement too. Personally I do not care for any of the front tires in the Geomax lineup, they all seem dicey and want to cut in IMO, but to each their own. Cheers!

m_martin53

RDC Crypto
I have been enjoying the Kenda K270 rear tire. It is a pretty solid option with great longevity IF the type of desert you are riding is mostly hard pack, gravel or light/medium sand. I run the 5.10 K270 with a platinum nitro mousse and its a pretty bomber setup. The K270 is DOT approved and does well on the pavement too. Personally I do not care for any of the front tires in the Geomax lineup, they all seem dicey and want to cut in IMO, but to each their own. Cheers!
+2 on the geomax fronts. The pirelli we ran had a flatter profile and was really stable at high speeds at the cost of cornering.

BCarr

RDC Crypto
Hey Bubba, did not even think to look at the Kenda tire lineup. Thanks for the lead on that. I still have the Shinko on the front, and am not sure just what will replace it.

For now, a week or so ago, I hit the local moto shop (LMS) that is run by some kewl dudes that have won their fair share of stuff (Dan, Jon at Precision Motorcycle Service, Goleta, CA) and purchased the AT81RC rear and a D606 rear.

So I took the Shinko 216 off, installed the D606 only because I'm forced to ride pavement to get to dirt and thought I'd give it a whirl. Interesting in that I found evidence of the tube pinched between the rimlock and rim, and it did not ever flat.

Now I am looking for a second complete rear wheel for the XR650R which will get the AT81RC. Anyone has a good complete XR650R wheel laying around let me know (even if it needs a rim...).

Attached is the pic of the worn Shinko 216. That's about 420mi worth of traction.

Attachments

• Shinko 216 Rear 420mi.jpg
    Shinko 216 Rear 420mi.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0

RanchoPacific Motorsports

RDC Crypto
Website
www.prografx.com
I have switched over to Golden Tyre, and am very happy. I also am running Mousse Tubes which are great unless you run on the highway.
I came from running Maxxis Desert IT for years but like the Golden Tyre better. I am running Models GT232N and GT233

BajaboundMoto

RDC Crypto
Website
bajaboundmoto.com
And regarding the Dunlop 739AT desert tire... Yes hard to find and rumor for years is Dunlop dropped it, but they didn't drop it. Parts Unlimited dropped it from their catalog, others did not. Any good parts dept. guy can find it for you. And there is nothing in the foreseeable future about Dunlop discontinuing it.
A great tire for long mileage fast desert racing (ie Baja an BITD/Legacy)

BCarr

RDC Crypto
Dig all the responses. Let me try to oblige:

BajaBoundMoto - well that is some deep news about the Dunlop 739AT. I'll put it to my LMS people, let them see what they can find. Big thanks for this info.

Hagle and Rancho Pacific Motorsports - tried to get a set of Goldentyre's some months back. Had the LMS try to find, and no go (and cant remember why). So I went for the Shinko experiment. Off that now, back to the Dunlop world. But I'll still try to find another Goldentyre source. And Hagle speederz, super bummed your CL10 engine expired at the B500. Hope it wasn't the oil filter.

DG BTI - never tried the Dunlop MX53 tire. Fast guy over at the LMS (Jon) just digs the MX33 tire. Thanks for your vote on that tire.

PBP - thanks for the backup comment. D606 mounted!

Thanks!