Replacing Helmets after a Rollover...?

trent06

Mush
Does anyone know if after a rollover should you replace your helmet with a new one? I dont know if I hit my head on the rollball, cage, etc as there are no scratches/dings on the helmet, etc. but would rather be safe then sorry right? Any suggestions on this? I know the guys from UPR would probably have some good knowledge knowing the ratngs etc, for helmets, but I am looking for everyones opinion....Putting in your 2 cents is recommended!

Thanks.

Trent

hammer down racing

I hope not. I would have a crap load of helmets if I bought a new one everytime I rolled.:D

I would just inspect your helmet. If there aren't any dings or scratches I think you would be fine. I don't think a rollover would affect a helmet unless it made some pretty hard contact with something.

racer56

You helmet should be inspected by the manufacturer. If the helmet has any fiberglass damage it is junk. Also remember that the Styrofoam inner liners are not designed for repeated hard impacts.

trent06

Mush
Thanks, good points. I have looked over it pretty well and everything still feels smooth etc on its shell. I am sending it to Racer X to get it re-wired since the mic works on and off due to heavy water damage at Parker, so they will get to see the inside and let me know what they think as well...

dirtdudeaz

if you were knocked out get it looked at, because then it would be a hard it. But I don't think it has to be as stringent as dirtbike helmets and crashes. Those you should replace after any hit hitting.

M.Harvey1600

a helmet should be replaced after 1 hard hit... the helmet is suppose to take the impact rather than your head... in a hard impact the helmet can receive non-visible hairline fractures throughout the helmet which will result with the integrity of the helmet being jeopardized... definitely have it inspected.

even if u dont remember hitting ur head on anything there is still a good chance u could have, have it inspected and if in doubt replace the helmet.

I'm sure u run a head and neck restraint if the impact was pretty violent it could have stressed the helmet at the point where the device attaches to ur helmet, i would replace the helmet on that basis alone cause the device and helmet did its job and protected u...
but it really depends on how violent of an accident u had....

trent06

Mush
All good information and thoughts, and yes I run the R3 Rage Head and Neck restraint, and that is a great point I didnt think about, about the HNR stressing the helmet from its mount I will have to check those. As for how hard the hit was, I have nothing to compare it off of, I wasnt sore at all except for my shoulders which are normally sore after every race, so I dont know if that was from the race or the wreck, but I did have absolutely no neck soreness.......!

My co-rider didnt have a HNR on as it was on order, all he had was a neck collar....His neck was sore, but all soreness was gone by Sunday evening the following day....I am definitely glad I had my HNR on, and the co-driver wishes his HNR would have made the race on time.

M.Harvey1600

All good information and thoughts, and yes I run the R3 Rage Head and Neck restraint, and that is a great point I didnt think about, about the HNR stressing the helmet from its mount I will have to check those. As for how hard the hit was, I have nothing to compare it off of, I wasnt sore at all except for my shoulders which are normally sore after every race, so I dont know if that was from the race or the wreck, but I did have absolutely no neck soreness.......!

My co-rider didnt have a HNR on as it was on order, all he had was a neck collar....His neck was sore, but all soreness was gone by Sunday evening the following day....I am definitely glad I had my HNR on, and the co-driver wishes his HNR would have made the race on time.
yeah i run a regular R-3 also and i have nothing but great things to say about it... good luck SA rated helmets r not cheap nor are any other helmet for that matter... hopefully u will not have to replace it but better safe than sorry!

JEFFRPM

Non Sugar Coated
If you hit the cage in a roll chances are your going to hit the cage again in the same place next time. I was always told IF YOU HAVE A 100 DOLLAR HEAD BUY A 100 DOLLAR HELMET.

Random Thoughts Racing

Dont confuse motorcycle helmet advice with cage type helmet advice. Consult your manufacturer. Also please post the manufacturers response.

Demp

#mikesson
I flipped at Battle At Primm this year and knocked my helmet good enough to chip the paint off. Took my helmet down to PCI and they went through it with the pads and foam out... Helmet checked out good! This is a HJC AR-10 just incase you're wondering :D

michael_loomis

Is there some kind of physical pressure test they give the shell? or do they just look inside for split fibers?

Demp

#mikesson
Is there some kind of physical pressure test they give the shell? or do they just look inside for split fibers?
Im guessing they're just looking in the inside to see if there is any shell damage. I remember hearing some where that it's very easy to spot cracks or push throughs of the shell.

WannaB-class5

I was always told IF YOU HAVE A 100 DOLLAR HEAD BUY A 100 DOLLAR HELMET.
I hate this quote. Personally I think I have a million dollar head but I sure as hell won't be buying a million dollar helmet :cool:

dirtdudeaz

How do you put a price on your head. Lame quote. I dont know about everyone else, but mine is priceless. (I guess though if you add up all the money I have spent on school, it is probably pretty high up there........)

Anyway, there is no difference between a motorcycle helmet and inside a vehicle helmet. Whether you crash on the ground, or in a vehicle the helmet still gets impacted and feels a force. The force doesnt change based on where you are..... And the helmets are made out of the same materials and mfg process. A hit is a hit. I think everyone has agreed, that you can either buy a new helmet if you you think it was a hard enough hit, and/or send it in to get looked at by the manufacturer.

maxyedor

Im guessing they're just looking in the inside to see if there is any shell damage. I remember hearing some where that it's very easy to spot cracks or push throughs of the shell.
Not 100% sure how helmets are inspected, but I know how you're supposed to inspect any carbon fiber on a bike or a plane. Get some white cloth gloves, the cheaper the better as they'll get torn up easier, and give the part a good rubbing down, any cracks or broken fibers will snag on the glove. Once the fibers are compromised, the part is junk from a safety stand-point. If the helmet has been painted the cracks will show up in the paint pretty readily.

You will always hit your head in the same place on the cage (assuming you don't switch seats) because the tubes will always be in the same position relative to where you're strapped in, so once the helmet has the slightest cage damage, it's done. A tiny fracture can become a majorly exploded head when you smack it again in the exact same spot, and even a minorly exploded head is going to suck.

My head is worth about $999.95+tax and shipping http://www.pciraceradios.com/ProductDetail.jsp?LISTID=4829908629555413761, Unfortunately PCI doesn't take food stamps and my bank account is only worth about $29.63:(

Cerberus2k7

Usually they will check the outer shell, then check the EPS for any deformation. Larger companies will also xray to check for overall health of the helmet. Helmets can take a pretty decent knock without actually affecting the integrity. If it's enough to damage the paint or scuff the shell, it's enough to get it checked out. But even then a lot of times it will still be good.

trent06

Mush
After talking with Racer X while having them re-wire my helmet, it seems that their is no problems with the shell of my helmet or any type of fiberglass fractures, flakes, etc. As I said before I didnt see any type of dint, dings, or even scratches in my helmet so I didnt think so, but they re-inforced my thought by letting me know how the inside looked....

M.Harvey1600

After talking with Racer X while having them re-wire my helmet, it seems that their is no problems with the shell of my helmet or any type of fiberglass fractures, flakes, etc. As I said before I didnt see any type of dint, dings, or even scratches in my helmet so I didnt think so, but they re-inforced my thought by letting me know how the inside looked....
good stuff... glad to hear it... always better safe than sorry!
i knew a guy that rolled over n a 1600 and hit his head on the overhead tubing then rolled it again and again and kept gettin a big bruise on the side of his head where the helmet had been damaged and was no longer protecting him... i told him to replace it but he didnt wanna spend the $ and he didnt think n e thing was wrong... better safe than sorry