• Forum membership has its advantages....

Report from Crandon

JenDiggityDirt

Hi Guys!!! Greg and l are in beautiful Crandon, Wisconsin for the CORR race and qualifying just finished. Jason Baldwin set a track record this afternoon (1:24:50). The weather here is absolutely incredible (especially compared to Lucerne last weekend!) and there are trees everywhere. I've never seen woods like this before, but then again I've lead a pretty sheltered life. This morning there was a parade in town with floats from all the local kids and then race trucks and buggies allllll the way down the street. It was very cool. We get to go down on the track tomorrow so hopefully we'll a) get some great photos and b)not die. These trucks are damn fast and just qualifying was intense. Tomorrow and Sunday should be incredible. We need to get this stuff out on the west coast. The guys from ORC are here (and let us use their laptop to write this). I haven't seen them but they said they have real time results up on <A target="_blank" HREF=http://off-road.com/fordracing>http://off-road.com/fordracing</A>. I will talk them into letting us come back tomorrow and let everyone know if anything exciting happened. Oh, one pretty cool thing they're doing this race is the Borg Warner shoot-out which is going to be all the v8 trucks at once (pro2, pro4, and sprotman, whoever wants to race and has a v8 can do it) and the prize is like $100,000! OK I'm gonna go watch practice now...more later...Greg says hi!
P.S. I met Evan Evans this morning.

<font color=white>JEN</font color=white>

scott

I have a buddy thats there right now, and he told me on the answering machine that MaCachran just broke the record now... Sounds like their all hooked up......

scott

Jen has it right I was just behind on my report. After Big Mac broke a 40 year record, Baldwin came along and beat Big Mac by a Thread.......

JoeB

Since I'm involed in CORR racing, I want to break a few myths. First of all, the winner of the Borg-Warner race gets the Borg-Warner cup. There are two of these trophies in the world. The one for Crandon, and the one won at the Indy 500. The off-road trophy is appraised at over $100,000. The actual prize money won is a little over $25,000 or close to that. The single lap record that Jason Baldwin currently has, was obtained by breaking Jamey Flannery's previous record which was set in ??? (About 1997) ......nowhere near a 40 year old record.

The races were a great time, just like they are every year at Crandon. I had an opportunity to meet Greg and Jen when they flagged me down as I was leaving the bathroom. :) They are awesome people, and it was a pleasure discussing the lack of prerunners in the mid-west. If anybody else wants to see some awesome short-course action, put Crandon on your calendar for Labor Day weekend 2002.

Joe Bowen

JoeB

I forgot to add, that incase anybody wondered, Big Mac won both his CORR races and the Borg-Warner shootout for the third year in a row.

Joe

JenDiggityDirt

Well, after getting on the road at 2:30 this morning (Cali time) and flying allllllllll day we are finally home. Wisconsin is beautiful, no doubt about it, but it sure is good to be home! This was by far one of the most exciting race weekends I've ever experienced. Friday's qualifying was great and it gave us a chance to see everyone who'd be racing. The pits were huge and everyone we talked to was incredibly friendly. We are lucky enough to have some friends who were racing and it was cool to finally get to see them race CORR in person. They sure treat the media nice in them parts! We had pretty much all access and free food and sodas to boot! All the people working the race were just soooo nice. We are already looking forward to going back next year. One of the coolest things we saw was the Good Old Boys class. It's like a tuff truck competition but they run the whole course. There were some real beaters in that class along with some pretty nice looking ones too. There was carnage all over the place during that race! We definitely need to get something going like that out here. The best races by far were on Sunday in Pro-2, Pro-4, and Sportsman. You MUST watch the race when it comes on tv because you won't believe how close those races were. I was literally jumping up and down and it took me a while after each race to calm down because it was just SO INTENSE! We lucked out and were able to watch all of Sundays races on the roof of the timing tower in the middle of the track. Unfortunately my digital camera broke Sunday morning. Fidel from ORC lent me his digital camera for a few of the races...I just need to get them over here on my computer. I DID get some pretty good shots of Saturday's racing though and those will be up on our site within the next few days. Greg had 35 mm film both days and as soon as all that gets developed we'll get it on the site, too. The only thing that could have made this race better was if we saw as many friends out there as we do at a desert race. Next year...be there!!! It was way cool meeting JoeB and seeing Mr Go-Desert Eric and Mike and Fidel from ORC and the other handful of people we know who were there. *Yawn*...nite!

Klaus

Administrator
Jen,

I hope you have pictures to prove it !

Can't wait to see them on the IP web-site.

JenDiggityDirt

Klaus, my fellow offroad junkie, there are many, many pictures...and video too! I will work on getting as much as I can up tonight.

JenDiggityDirt

Well I'm uploading some 80-odd pictures to prerunners.com tonight and that's just from the parade on Friday! Not too exciting, but it was part of the whole experience. There's some pretty cool video though. Keep in mind I'm still getting used to taking those digital videos. You can find a link at <A target="_blank" HREF=http://prerunners.com/updates.htm>http://prerunners.com/updates.htm</A> I'll get some action photos up tomorrow afternoon! I'm still high on the whole experience. I wish it wasn't over. The only thing the weekend was lacking was all of our dezert people friends. Seriously we should all start saving for next year now so as many people as possible can get out there. It's so worth it.

JenDiggityDirt

Rick Huseman won both days in Pro-Lite!!! During the race Saturday I was hanging out near the first jump and talking to a couple really nice fireman/flagmen. Jeff Kincaid is a local guy so of course they were cheering for him. Rick is is a friend and from OUR hometown so I was cheering for him. A psuedo fight erupted and there was name-calling and well, it was really pretty funny. I, of course, gloated heartily after he won. I don't know what it is with him, but that boy can drive! He pulls ahead and (if nothing goes wrong with the truck) he just stays there. In fact, towards the end of Saturday's race he was so far ahead you could hear him letting off quite a bit in the turns, just sort of taking it easy at that point. He really is an amazing driver and what Dan Huseman and Esslinger do with that truck is truly an art. You know Dan hand-makes all kinds of stuff on that truck, like the headers and bell housing even the carburator.

JenDiggityDirt

Ok the thumbnails are fixed. By Monday I will have all the action shots up.

MNotary

8 trucks in pro 4 and 12 in Pro 2 is pretty weak. Insane was watching it when there was over 20 going into turn one. Lack of rules has really hurt the car count in those classes.

Jimmy8

If it was possible to cross trophy trucks over and run them in the desert and stadium like in the past (riverside), there would probably be a lot more entries.

blazersracing

I have an idea to get the trophy trucks on a short course..... Race them on the 8 mile endurance course at Glen Helen. There is going to be a 24 hour race on an 8 mile course at the Glen with motorcycles, why not use the same concept for cars and trucks. They could have a couple more spectator areas around the 8 mile track, and have access to the hot pits for a re-fuel. Then they could race both short-course and desert trucks on the same track. Someone like FABTECH could sponsor it as well as Chevy Trucks and anyone else who wanted in on this.
This is just my $0.02 worth. I would pay whatever price they wanted to charge and I know a whole lot of other people who would too.

Jimmy8

An 8 mile course would be like racing the laughlin track for 24 hours.