Reptilian Monster Seen at Powder Puff

Wendell #527

Reaction
Well, not much of a monster. Looks like a Geko. I had never seen one of these before. You guys seen any of these?

Attachments

CHASETHISTOO

Reaction
That thing is way cool. I've never seen one of these.

This may sound stupid but was it a pet or did you find it out there? Either way I've never seen a gecko with that coloring.

racer_dude

Back2Back TL Champ!
Reaction
looks like someone's spotted gecko that got out of its confinement. pretty neat none the less!

BRINGTHERUCKUS

Nimrod de PMC
Reaction
we have geckos like that in parker just not that big...well up at Parker dam there are. but that definatly looks like someones pet got out...

Mike @ pit b

#Mike@PlanB
Reaction
No that's just the money you could be saving by switching to GEICO.

Wendell #527

Reaction
Check this out:

http://www.californiaherps.com/identification/lizardsid/lizards.id.html

and this:

http://www.californiaherps.com/lizards/lizardsmaps.html

Yes it is a gecko. Didn't know they were in that area but according to the linked site they could be. Rare find, very cool!
You are right. That first link shows a picture of it if you scroll down a bit---a desert banded Geko. I didn't think it could be anybody's pet. It was really out a long ways from the camp areas running from bush to bush. The kids caught it and played with it for a while before letting it go. Thanks for the help with these links.

Desert_Tech

Reaction
This must be the racing species of gecko - I saw this one at the Silver State 300 Finish line - he looks very similar

Attachments

450grl

Reaction
We have about 6 baby geckos that live around our front porch light - every night when we walk in/out the door, they are there eating the bugs that come for the light. I love those things!! Lookit their little toes - how cute is that??

DanMcMillin

Crane Motorsports
Reaction
NOOOOOO!!! QUICK LOCK THE THREAD UP!!!! this is just what the desert community needs. you posting a picture of a rare looking lizard you found on public land on a desert racing website when already the desert tortoise has a firm grasp on our balls.

randy s

Reaction
i say we run over it and really piss everyone off....either that or catch em' all and make a pair of slippers out of them...i am, of course, just kidding. cute little things.

RyanWiW

Reaction
Well, not much of a monster. Looks like a Geko. I had never seen one of these before. You guys seen any of these?
That is definately a Leapord Gecko. I know because i have one as a pet. Definately not indigenous to that area, so says wikipedia. Amazing that it has survived!

[ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leopard_gecko[/ame]

jo maoma

Heisenberg
Reaction
....they live in scrublands and harsh desert environments.....

nonsense! if that were true they wouldn't
speak with a British accent now would they....

200MPHTape

Reaction
According to the, 2009-2010 California Freshwater Fishing Regulations.

5.60. Reptiles.
(a) General Provisions: Only the following reptiles may be taken under the authority of a sportfishing license, subject to the restrictions in this section. The limit for each of the species listed below is two, unless otherwise provided. Limit, as used in this section, means daily bag and possession limit. No reptiles shall be taken from ecological reserves designated by the commission in Section 630 or from state parks, or national parks or monuments.
(b) No sportfishing license is required for the sport take of any rattlesnake.
(1) Painted turtle (Chrysemys picta): Limit: No limit.
(2) Slider Turtle (Pseudemys (Trachemys) scripta): Limit: No limit.
(3) Spiny softshell turtle (Trionyx spiniferus): Limit: No limit.
(4) Western banded gecko (Coleonyx variegatus)

So long as you have a fishing license you can keep them!

http://nrm.dfg.ca.gov/FileHandler.ashx?DocumentID=10351