Respect for the fallen.....

green787

Reaction
Website
realsound.us
I'm not trolling.... I actually disagree with the unspoken off road policy of not talking about the dead, and not analyzing the situation of their death..... We need to face the facts of the case and discuss how this happened..... Where is the RDC court??? Was walking on the track or what to do when your vehicle breaks down discussed at the driver's meeting....??? Why didn't they see each other.....???
If a NASCAR driver died on the track walking back to pits, or throwing helmets, the whole world would know about it....
When "off road" loses a driver nobody hears about it....
I disagree with that policy.....

y2kbaja

Reaction
Our HNR's have super bright reflective tape on it for when we're out of the car at night. We have reflective tape on the jack handle and shovel. I think the traction boards should have reflective tape on them too (I'm a poor class 9 racer and can't afford them). Buy a roll of reflective tape and mark anything that would be off the car during a night race pit. Granted, reflective tape only works at night.

pdailey

Racer
Reaction
There was A LOT of things that went wrong on Friday and I'm not OK with sweeping this one under the rug and continue on business as usual. It's getting way too hard to put these events on and accidents like these with rookie racers not knowing what to do sure don't help the future of this sport.

Big Whitey

Reaction
I would also ask what is the proper protocol to do if you were the person driving the race car that hit somebody. Do you take the attitude of, it’s a race and I’m going on or stop to help. for me it’s stop to help no matter who was at fault. Walking backwards on a active course is a huge mistake regardless. Not to bash the guy but that was not a good move.

J Prich

Reaction
It's really difficult to have the conversations this way when it's hard to make heads or tails of the actual facts, chain of events, etc. Agree 100% that the situation should be examined by key players and change implemented where it can make a difference, but it's a fine line in places like this between that and free for all peanut gallery nonsense from the majority of us that don't have the full picture of what actually happened.

green787

Reaction
Website
realsound.us
I have spectated at many races, in Mexico, and the United States.... The person "walking back to the pits" must have been....???? I just don't understand how you get ran over on a race course.... unless there is a roll over or something....????

Last edited:

Bro_Gill

Reaction
Good luck. Not that I disagree with the premise of investigating, finding facts, looking for ways to prevent it in the future, and educating those still around about it, I STRONGLY THINK that is exactly what should happen. But experience with this kind of stuff in another life has shown that humans never want to find fault or place blame on those who are dead even if it is their fault. Instead, what happens is, sides are picked and the 'good guys' side is always the side that casts the dead person as a hero warrior who was taken by some nefarious shadow reason that can never be determined or displayed exactly is it is. Those who find fault, even if there is fault, are the bad guys always casting negative thoughts and just want to tear good people down, even if what they say is true and correct and will prevent bad things from happening in the future. In ,y ,ind, this seems to be an immature response that humans can't seem to outgrow from their teen years, you know, the one where you scream at adults to just let you live your own life the way you want to and make your own mistakes rather than learn from others. That seems to be the longest lesson our little brains ever capture.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
I know many want to learn and make changes everytime any tragic situation happens. Nothing is being swept under the rug in anyway, but honestly this is still an active investigation by several agencies for several reasons. A on course death is very very uncommon. Personally this is my 25th year in this sport for multiple series. This is the first for Best in the Desert that I am aware of in Nevada.

Just yesterday I was back out at the scene and met with two different agencies involved in the investigation. Honestly despite some people that believe they know everything involved, last night was first time many of us that were there actually got to put a couple more of the pieces together of what happened.

There are things to learn from this in many ways. I know I will be making some significant changes to my program as a result for series we continue to support. Those that know me, know that no death goes under the rug. Having personally visited with the majority of those injured at our events, even every injury is analyzed to determine what can we do better.

This isnt a job to me. this is my life. The families effected. The drivers injured and lost. The people effected all drive me to try and do better for our sport.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
336440B7-54EF-4003-A241-CBEA0AF7C3C7.jpeg

Nearly two weeks from the loss of Darren Dryer at this years Vegas to Reno, and I still have a few questions that will never be answered.

I have the majority of the facts and more than a few opinions of many aspects of that day. For the purposes of this conversation I will focus on simply facts of the incident.

Rough Timeline: (Based on Racing Trax text notifications and radio relay logs )

At 1253, T993 activated their mechanical alert button at race mile 11.5.

During this point, Darren and his co driver exited the vehicle to determine what the problem was. They were parked about 8 feet off course to the right side.

Determining that the problem was not fixable, they started walking on the right side of the course to the checkpoint about 1.5 miles back for assistance.

A driver stopped at the checkpoint prior to Mile 12.5 and reported that he thinks he may have struck someone before him. (Time not verified) As he was in a tight area, the course worker sent the vehicle onto Pit 1. Course worker reported the incident to Radio Relay.

At 1312, a radio call was received stating medical was needed at Mile 8. The retrieval vehicle staged at mile 10, as well as the closest Medical team staged at the Start Line responded towards mile 8.
At 1315, another radio call was received for medical at mile 11.

The start of the race was red flagged.

At 1317, 2973 activated their Medical Alert button at Race Mile 11.4. They then continued moving at race speed and the alert was cancelled.

At 1321, 2904 activated their Medical Alert button at Race Mile 11.4.

At 1324, phone call received by Myself from one of the 2904 team advising mile 8 critical patient. At the same time, Email received advising of the same info at 1331.

1330 Helicopter was launched by our team based on reports from 2904 to Mile 8 location.

1335 Nye County got a call of person struck at the start line of the race and sent Ambulance, Fire Truck and Helicopter.

1340 Esmeralda County 911 got reports of accident at Pit 1 and sent resources there.

Once it was verified the location of mile 11.4, am additional medical team and retrieval team from Us responded for assistance.

it was unknown to our team and the race organization of the additional calls and responding units until after the first helicopter had arrived.

Darren went into Traumatic Arrest on scene and despite all efforts could not be revived by the providers.

in talking with Darrens Co-driver, they had left the vehicle to walk back to the checkpoint for help. They were walking along the right side of the course backwards to the turn. The wind was a straight nose wind direction for race vehicles. They saw an approaching vehicle and stepped off the course as the vehicle passed. Prior to the dust clearing, they stepped onto the course again as another vehicle in the dust struck Darren.

While Racing Trax has the data of how many vehicles passed the scene after the accident, I have not received that information.

Lessoned learned for our team:

Agencies in area will be included more in pre planning and communication. Prior to this, they have not requested involvement however we will be coordinators with them. Critical incidents will have notifications made to comm centers so they are aware of the situation and multiple unusable resources won’t be wasted.

All major events will include our command center to coordinate responders and ensure solid communications, radios relay and internet for Racing Trax.

I have other suggestions for racing organizations that I will be communicating with them directly.

As a side note, some of my team members and I placed a cross at the spot Darren passed away. None of us knew him or even met him prior to the accident. His death however has effected my team greatly. A plaque with Darren’s name and information will be added to the cross on October 9th ( our first non race weekend over the next several months) as members of my team will meet there in his honor and place it and pay our respects.

Bro_Gill

Reaction
9-1-1 bypasses all your efforts. Contacts ahead of time and a working IAP with all cooperating agencies is needed to help avoid this. As they say about Real Estate- Location Location Location!. It matters in emergencies as well. Can't tell you how many times someone calls 9-1-1 on their cell phone to report something when they are not at home and they give THEIR address. YOu guys do good work. Keep it up.

ndvalium

Rescue Director
Reaction
9-1-1 bypasses all your efforts. Contacts ahead of time and a working IAP with all cooperating agencies is needed to help avoid this. As they say about Real Estate- Location Location Location!. It matters in emergencies as well. Can't tell you how many times someone calls 9-1-1 on their cell phone to report something when they are not at home and they give THEIR address. YOu guys do good work. Keep it up.
And for many races that is always the plan. Prior to this agencies wanted to know it was going but didn’t want to be heavily involved. I’m all for it 100%. It works great under that format for other areas.

Honda48X

Reaction
Thank you for sharing. The Incident Action Plan (IAP) forms are the best especially for a planned event like an upcoming race. ICS forms 201 through 218 are great because you will ha e all the information already complete before the race even starts. These forms are readily accessible on the internet. ICS form 206 Medical Plan is nice to have so everyone is on the same page. Probably good to have the course broke down by mileage. Miles 1 through 100 go this this hospital and miles 101 through X go to this hospital, etc.

Dave, very nice recap of the events and this is exactly how we get better and better to deal with a accident if required.

Dave, are you able to have your volunteers take NIMS, ICS 100, 200, and 700? Everyone that volunteers for assisting in rescues should take those courses.

Last edited:

Lcheeney

Reaction
View attachment 230734

Nearly two weeks from the loss of Darren Dryer at this years Vegas to Reno, and I still have a few questions that will never be answered.

I have the majority of the facts and more than a few opinions of many aspects of that day. For the purposes of this conversation I will focus on simply facts of the incident.

Rough Timeline: (Based on Racing Trax text notifications and radio relay logs )

At 1253, T993 activated their mechanical alert button at race mile 11.5.

During this point, Darren and his co driver exited the vehicle to determine what the problem was. They were parked about 8 feet off course to the right side.

Determining that the problem was not fixable, they started walking on the right side of the course to the checkpoint about 1.5 miles back for assistance.

A driver stopped at the checkpoint prior to Mile 12.5 and reported that he thinks he may have struck someone before him. (Time not verified) As he was in a tight area, the course worker sent the vehicle onto Pit 1. Course worker reported the incident to Radio Relay.

At 1312, a radio call was received stating medical was needed at Mile 8. The retrieval vehicle staged at mile 10, as well as the closest Medical team staged at the Start Line responded towards mile 8.
At 1315, another radio call was received for medical at mile 11.

The start of the race was red flagged.

At 1317, 2973 activated their Medical Alert button at Race Mile 11.4. They then continued moving at race speed and the alert was cancelled.

At 1321, 2904 activated their Medical Alert button at Race Mile 11.4.

At 1324, phone call received by Myself from one of the 2904 team advising mile 8 critical patient. At the same time, Email received advising of the same info at 1331.

1330 Helicopter was launched by our team based on reports from 2904 to Mile 8 location.

1335 Nye County got a call of person struck at the start line of the race and sent Ambulance, Fire Truck and Helicopter.

1340 Esmeralda County 911 got reports of accident at Pit 1 and sent resources there.

Once it was verified the location of mile 11.4, am additional medical team and retrieval team from Us responded for assistance.

it was unknown to our team and the race organization of the additional calls and responding units until after the first helicopter had arrived.

Darren went into Traumatic Arrest on scene and despite all efforts could not be revived by the providers.

in talking with Darrens Co-driver, they had left the vehicle to walk back to the checkpoint for help. They were walking along the right side of the course backwards to the turn. The wind was a straight nose wind direction for race vehicles. They saw an approaching vehicle and stepped off the course as the vehicle passed. Prior to the dust clearing, they stepped onto the course again as another vehicle in the dust struck Darren.

While Racing Trax has the data of how many vehicles passed the scene after the accident, I have not received that information.

Lessoned learned for our team:

Agencies in area will be included more in pre planning and communication. Prior to this, they have not requested involvement however we will be coordinators with them. Critical incidents will have notifications made to comm centers so they are aware of the situation and multiple unusable resources won’t be wasted.

All major events will include our command center to coordinate responders and ensure solid communications, radios relay and internet for Racing Trax.

I have other suggestions for racing organizations that I will be communicating with them directly.

As a side note, some of my team members and I placed a cross at the spot Darren passed away. None of us knew him or even met him prior to the accident. His death however has effected my team greatly. A plaque with Darren’s name and information will be added to the cross on October 9th ( our first non race weekend over the next several months) as members of my team will meet there in his honor and place it and pay our respects.
I realize you and many others have unanswered questions. I have many of my own. I think it might be a good idea for the BITD planners, medical rescue, nye County, esmerelda County, and all those involved in this accident and subsequent emergency response debacle to all meet together face to face to understand this event more accurately. Some of the "facts" you present here appear to be inaccurate. This was a tragic accident that very well may be the fault of only one man. However, there is much to be learned by ALL involved in the events that unfolded in the 3+ hours between the moment of impact and the time of death. You and BITD owe it to every single racer on your courses to fine tune EVERYTHING related to emergency responses during events. It needs to be done before the next event. Waiting for a free weekend may very well cost someone their life. Im not interested in blaming anyone. I am interested in improving the response and communications process so that the issues with this particular situation do not end up being repeated. Let us all honor Darren by doing better moving forward, but that will take open honest communication between all parties involved.

Big Whitey

Reaction
I realize you and many others have unanswered questions. I have many of my own. I think it might be a good idea for the BITD planners, medical rescue, nye County, esmerelda County, and all those involved in this accident and subsequent emergency response debacle to all meet together face to face to understand this event more accurately. Some of the "facts" you present here appear to be inaccurate. This was a tragic accident that very well may be the fault of only one man. However, there is much to be learned by ALL involved in the events that unfolded in the 3+ hours between the moment of impact and the time of death. You and BITD owe it to every single racer on your courses to fine tune EVERYTHING related to emergency responses during events. It needs to be done before the next event. Waiting for a free weekend may very well cost someone their life. Im not interested in blaming anyone. I am interested in improving the response and communications process so that the issues with this particular situation do not end up being repeated. Let us all honor Darren by doing better moving forward, but that will take open honest communication between all parties involved.
All of that sounds great, just like a lot of the other advise. I think a huge portion lies with us racers as well. The emergency response people can be prepared as in depth as you describe or wish but, if WE THE RACERS don’t report a accident ASAP when it happens that alone costs time. If we don’t report the mileage correctly, that costs time. If we continue driving instead of immediately stopping and hitting the emergency button on our tracking device then how do we put ANY responsibility on how long it takes for a rescue team to get there. it’s a big desert to find us in.

Lcheeney

Reaction
All of that sounds great, just like a lot of the other advise. I think a huge portion lies with us racers as well. The emergency response people can be prepared as in depth as you describe or wish but, if WE THE RACERS don’t report a accident ASAP when it happens that alone costs time. If we don’t report the mileage correctly, that costs time. If we continue driving instead of immediately stopping and hitting the emergency button on our tracking device then how do we put ANY responsibility on how long it takes for a rescue team to get there. it’s a big desert to find us in.
Exactly. But the racer who hit his emergency button should have stopped. The team involved was 100-125 yards from their car and could not hit theirs. There was cell service, but Nye County dispatch didn't even know there was a race, nor did Esmerelda dispatch, and that's a problem. The race mile was reported wrong, but was quickly corrected. BITD radio was used, but thete was much confusion between all parties. GPS coordinates were relayed, but no one in dispatch seemed to know what those were. Like I said before, none of this would have saved our guy. But moving forward we can all improve to reduce the confusion. That's what I would like to see. Things like this are chaotic, but also should be a learning experience for all to improve.

MTPyle

Reaction
Lchenny,

Sorry for your loss.

Coming on here and Calling David a lier isn't going to fly. David is one of the sports MVP's. He has dedicated his life to helping us racers and I have never seen him shy away from admitting what can be improved. He has zero ego and truly cares.

How do you create a process that helps when multiple sources are calling in bad information? That added with the fact that there was 3 scenes its a mess. You have the Broke down UTV location, The location he got hit, and the check point the racer that hit him went to. thats just an outlier scenario that no planning can fix.

Fact is racers break down all the time and its never this confusing. They simply stay with the broke down vehicle with the Racing Trax broke down button activated. Problem solved. BITD gets people there super fast. It happens 100's of times a season and goes very well, its a proven system.

To come on here and blame isn't cool. This was next level confusion that Darren created. It sucks but it is what it is.

I do think David already said there can be improvements with local first responders. But again if done right there is zero need for outside responders. So David will fix something that has never been an issue unit this cluster F.

Sorry to be blunt but you are on a public forum slinging mud at very well respected people.

Mike

Last edited:

Big Whitey

Reaction
Lchenny,

Sorry for your loss.

Coming on here and Calling David a lier isn't going to fly. David is one of the sports MVP's. He has dedicated his life to helping us racers and I have never seen him shy away from admitting what can be improved. He has zero ego and truly cares.

How do you create a process that helps when multiple sources are calling in bad information? That added with the fact that there was 3 scenes its a mess. You have the Broke down UTV location, The location he got hit, and the check point the racer that hit him went to. thats just an outlier scenario that no planning can fix.

Fact is racers break down all the time and its never this confusing. They simply stay with the broke down vehicle with the Racing Trax broke down button activated. Problem solved. BITD gets people there super fast. It happens 100's of times a season and goes very well, its a proven system.

To come on here and blame isn't cool. This was next level confusion that Darren created. It sucks but it is what it is.

I do think David already said there can be improvements with local first responders. But again if done right there is zero need for outside responders. So David will fix something that has never been an issue unit this cluster F.

Sorry to be blunt but you are on a public forum slinging mud at very well respected people.

Mike
Best post I have ever read from you to date.