Results of 2013 Mint

TRUKTOR

RDC Crypto
Nimrod is right- editing the footage into a comprehensive, interesting " representation" of the race, is a very selective Process,it is involved and complicated, and it takes time.
Look to The Bob Bowers tapes to see a great representation of the good results , but as many stories are told, many more Stories are dropped. It has to be that way, or a two hour race, times 200 competitors, becomes a 400 hour swamp of footage of vehicles bumping along, with no compelling story.

If you really want it, go to the race, and you will STILL miss details that float in later at the Bar. "Real time " is an illusion-
Go to the race, or take what you get. If you expect anything like the real experience of an off road race, via the Internet, You are pissing up a rope.
The updates today, via Azracer were great, so we could follow it, but let's be realistic - the Internet is a far cry from Being next to the course and watching them blast by, with helicopters, scanner traffic in your ears, and dirt flying all
Over the place.

The main event is the race. Internet coverage is gravy. If it is too thin for your satisfaction, gas up and drive out to the desert, and watch the next one. There is no comparison.

If your dreams are fulfilled , and the " real time " coverage gets to the level that you
Seek, it might be an improvement, but it will still fall far short of the experience of making the effort to be at the race.

There are two types of men : Those that go, and those that stay home.

If you stay home, don't expect to bend things to your liking,as if you went. It'll
Never be the same, nor should it .

Last edited:

palmawor

RDC Crypto
well said! from Washington state I got sheet for proper info.... thatz cuz I didn't make this epic race this year!!! travel and experience is the best way,,, racing or watching. thx RDC!

J Prich

RDC Crypto
Nimrod is right- editing the footage into a comprehensive, interesting " representation" of the race, which is a very selective
Process, is involved and complicated.
Look to The Bob Bowers tapes to see a great representation of the process, but as many stories are told, many more
Stories are dropped. It has to be that way, or a two hour race, times 200 competitors, becomes a 400 hour swamp of footage of vehicles bumping along.

If you really want it, go to the race, and you will STILL miss details that float in later at the Bar. "Real time " is an illusion-
Go to the race, or take what you get. If you expect anything like the real experience of an off road race, via the Internet,
You are pissing up a rope.
The updates today, via Azracer were great, so we could follow it, but let's be realistic - the Internet is a far cry from
Being next to the course and watching them blast by, with helicopters, scanner traffic in your ears, and dirt flying all
Over the place.
The main event is the race. Internet coverage is gravy. If it is too thin for your satisfaction, gas up and drive out to the desert And watch the next one. There is no comparison.

Sorry, nothing personal but don't buy this at all. No one looking for updates is remotely suggesting that any level of race day coverage somehow captures the feel of being there. The same is true of any sport. But there are thousands and family members, friends, and passionate fans of the sport who can't up and quit what they are doing to go to every race they want to go to.

You highlighted the issue yourself, without really intending to in my opinion. The fact that AZRacer was able to provide some semblance of race updates status speaks volumes about the current status of this sport and its reach. To use the Mint as a specific example, a significant amount of money was invested by a lot of people, businesses, etc to put on things like pre race parties, beauty pagents, vehicle parades, and pit crew events. All of which were super and should serve as a prelude to the main event.

To have the main event arrive and have no way for people to really connect to what is happening is unfortunate in my opinion. Indy and Daytona have pre race parties, pageants, and parades. But none of those events can sniff the jock straps of the races themselves and people all over the country tune in to see what is happening. Given the amount of effort and money spent, I feel like a huge piece of the process remains unresolved and that's decent race day coverage.

For the 1,000th time, that's no disrespect to the people trying their best to make it work. But obviously based on the feedback here, on social media, etc, there are more than a few people who really wanted more real time race information. The technology clearly exists. There just doesnt seem to be any momentum to make the final push to get it right. Pick any race that's happened over the last two years and you'll find groups of people looking for race day info that should be readily available but is not. The number of people looking for that stuff is growing. There is a need and opportunity to further grow the sport I think, by creatively and effectively using readily available technology that people like AZracer managed to figure out to help connect more people to the sport and expand audiences. More audience = more incentive for sponsors = more money for racers. Its that simple.

TRUKTOR

RDC Crypto
You know what- I agree with you. In this day and age, timing updates can and should be expected, and the technology Is available. It seems achievable and it just takes some additional effort. If a Spot Tracker, for example, can let family Members know where you are across the country, then splits or checkpoint times should be as available, and when we
Are stuck at home, some accurate representation of who is leading, trailing or broken, is a reasonable expectation.

I agree with that, and the better the remote information is, the more interest can be maintained, the larger the audience, And so on.

I was addressing the idea that a real-time Video presentation , one that made some form of an accurate representation of the Events of the day, was not a realistic goal. Raw footage of trucks roaring by is one thing,but even with competent commentary ( in very short supply these days, it seems.) , it still falls far short from telling the story of the race.

So, I have no disagreement with your position, I think you are right- there is lots of room for improvement, and It would not involve new technology, just better application of what is out there.

I was really talking about the idea that a live video feed would ever rise to some level that it mattered, in the grand scheme of things. By definition, live feeds are unedited, and unedited footage has no form, and no ability to put the events
Into order, let alone the correct finishing order ( which could take a week, eh?).

The finish line blather has often been " real time video" or " live feed", and in my opinion, it is a brain-numbing dirge that is a broadcast killer. It isn't just George and the "Give it up for" Or the " In the house" crap. It isn't covering the part of the event that matters,or is visually interesting,it is covering the part of the race that CAN be covered in " real time"- the finish. However,
Unless you are there to congratulate someone you are connected to, the finish line
Celebrations are easily avoided, either so you can pack up, or get to the party. It
Isn't a part of the event that is very cinematic. The only compelling issue is that you
Can nail a camera down and let it run.That is why you see it- there are no logistics involved.
As far as content, it is bland and repetitive, unless your relative just won his class, then
It has value.
Dakar does a great job of coverage, but look at the resources they throw at it, as the organizers. Check out the helicopters- none by the teams, all by the organizers. Look at the
Commentators, top notch, and informative as to the day's events.

Off road is an " open track", nobody is in the same place at the same time,
For the most part, so head to head coverage is a gift. NASCAR , ALMS, Drag racing....
All the competitors there are captive, and can be in front of the cameras for the whole event.

Desert Racing has always had the coverage problem- it is just the way it is.
Even with improved communications onsite these days, the events of the race, and the
Details of " what happened to ....?" Come out later, after everything is back on the trailer. It is always going to be that way, and that is a good part of it, I think. People start out, race
Their day by themselves ( and co-dawg)and when they get back to the other people, their
Stories are told. It has to be that way, just by the nature of the beast. No amount of radio
Or video coverage will replace that process, although it may augment it to a greater degree.

Live footage of trophy trucks rocketing by might be good and entertaining, but it can't really tell the story, nor can it replace the experience of attending the race, that is all I was intending to say.

Congratulation to Menzies on the Win- two in a row, right ?

Last edited:

Jerry Zaiden

RDC Crypto
Website
www.camburgEngineering.com
First off congratulations to team Orbit on their 6100 win!
We got 2nd place and lost by 7min at this years mint. Very close competitive racing and we had a great time. Whelchel and Childress did an excelent job driving.

michael_loomis

RDC Crypto
Keep being happy with what you got and it will never improve.

Nothing wrong with a little constructive criticism.

Race coverage in general in '13 seems to be worse than '12 IMO.

Sure.. I'd like to be there, but I can't. However I'd also like it if the manufacturers would dive in head first again. That's gonna take a ton of folks tuning in who also can't be there.

BD126

RDC Crypto
Weyrich is always the dark horse nobody ever talks about him but he is in the top 5 every race. Jesse jones I though was fastest though road crossing spectator 1 and be was fastest through spectator 3 and Menzies was fastest through spectator 4. Whelchel was on it through spectator 4. Pat dean looked like he grenade a motor lap 3 at mile 90 ish right at spectator 4

GunnSlinger

Captain Backpack
RDC Crypto
You think Mad Media cares about the coverage of the race on race day?

They only care about the coverage of the race for when it airs on tv...... 9 MONTHS from now, just like last years race.

Go to the MINT400 site and find information about where the race actually is. WAFJ!!

People like you will never be pleased, and quite frankly nobody even really cares to please people with this kind of attitude.... WAFJ

6.4twins

RDC Crypto
How did those 6100 lease program guys form Reno do? Did they have the Discover Chopper filming?

ProfessionalPitMan

RDC Crypto
How did those 6100 lease program guys form Reno do? Did they have the Discover Chopper filming?

One pulled off of the track right after the start... Seemed like they had no intention of racing it.. The Go Pro truck was at Pit B for a while when we left the track at 11:30 ish... I think those 2 were the only ones that started.

rubberdust

RDC Crypto
RDC has done a great job of continuing to improve their race coverage over the years. But yesterday was a step backwards. Maybe it was the increased coverage leading up to the race that led to more people trying to follow the coverage live or not enough signal to get everything out. The audio in interviews frequently would fade in & out the timing splits that have been excellant in the past were horrible. It appeared that the mileage scale that should have easily allowed you to see the splits at various points sorted by class if you wanted was a frustrating waste of time yesterday. 10 years ago it would have impressed us all with what was offered yesterday. But expectations have been raised & were not met at an event that they should have further raised the bar.

6.4twins

RDC Crypto
One pulled off of the track right after the start... Seemed like they had no intention of racing it.. The Go Pro truck was at Pit B for a while when we left the track at 11:30 ish... I think those 2 were the only ones that started.

Oh so no Chopper?

squirelmurphy

RDC Crypto
I think the lack of coverage seemed worse due to the media blitz leading up to the race. There was certainly no problem sending out emails, I must have gotten 100 of them. I think after that, people were expecting a little more.

We can't use the "It's Baja and the internet coverage sucks" excuse for a race held just outside of Vegas. Which reminds me, I miss the old RDC coverage of the Baja races I wasn't able to attend.