Retro Honda build questions

Dustd

Reaction
I have a 76 XL250 and it is a well cared for, running, completely stock machine.
I will never race it but I am interested in modifying it, (particularly suspension) to 'Look' like something I would have found back in the day in the Desert. Yes, I do go back that far, LOL!
I've been away from bikes for a couple decades and I have not found antique suspension parts thus far... For that matter a muffler and a few other odds and ends.
It used to be there were parts dealers that had parts that were universal (mufflers) today everything I'm finding is bike specific and THIS bike ain't one of them.

This is just a fun project, as I said not for competition, just a different ride that will retain its 'dual Sport function.

Thanks!
D

BGRANT

Reaction
Check with Vintage Iron in San Marcos or MC salvage in Escondido might be able to help as well.

Dustd

Reaction
At this point it is looking like the forks are going to be the parts to find.
Current OE sticks are 35mm-Dia, 775MM-Center of the axle to the end of the tube (30.5" Long) and give a whopping ~4.5" of kidney killing travel with the axle centered under the fork slider. I'm thinking that the Elsinore had the same set up but 2X the travel... Waiting for call backs and digging for more info in my free time, LOL, if nothing else I'm looking at some great old bikes.

I've ridden this bike flat out across eastern Oregon in the day... :eek:
We were all crazy right? Maybe 7" of travel in the front...

Chase 2

Reaction
Try to see if you can get the big fin kit from XR's Only they had them form both heads and cylinders at one time. Looked waaaay kewl.

Baja Fool

Reaction
76 XL 250! My buddy had one around that year we put a set of Bultaco forks and Curnutt shocks on it. For the motor we went to Powroll up your way.

Probably do much better nowadays on the forks than off of a 'taco.
Here are the links for the shocks and motor:

http://www.trickracingproducts.com/
http://www.powroll.com

Post some photos and good luck.

Dustd

Reaction
I now have a line on a CR rolling chassis for a reasonable price.
My concern is what will I do to the fork geometry if I simply install forks, TT, etc, into the 76 frame?
I've been reading as much as I can, but, I can also admit that I'm in over my head! For a second I thought about swapping things to the CR frame but I would have to deal with more issues that way if I want to keep it licensed (which I do). Fab/Machine work is nothing, getting the geometry right THAT is a whole nother'thang!

Thanks for the input Keep it coming!

DuaneH

Reaction
What year CR? The forks themselves should not change geomtry too much...CR should be leading axle? and stock were axle under? There will not be much issue from a handling standpoint....except it willl more stable and not turn as quick. The triple clamps might be a little different and really you probably have to switch those out depending on the year CR forks you are using. early CR /Elsinore might work fine???

Last edited:

Dustd

Reaction
Just to let you all know this is on hold for a while.
Having a negative income for a long time, which is going to save me a ton on my taxes this year! I had a small fund set aside for these sanity maintenance projects.
It came to my attention that there was a young man that needed to earn some money. I hired him at his asking wage and I hope put my money to better use then this project. I know that the smile one his face was well worth my investment. I could do it but I'd have to fund it out of other projects. This project will just be stalled a little while.

I'd like to say thanks for all the feedback, and I'll revive this thread when I get restarted on this.