reverse rotation alternator?

Rprice

if i am mounting a alternator on backwards( pully pointed towards motor not away) do i need a reverse rotation alternator or do they work either way?

jeff

Alternators shouldn't care which way they are turning... but generators do. One word of caution, if the alternator has a fan blade to help cool it you'll need to take care of that. A fan spinning the wrong way won't do much good.

Aloha

jeff

One thing I might look at is if the alternator uses brushes you might want to keep an eye on those. If they wore in with it being turned one way the wear pattern might cause issues when it starts spinning the other direction. I'm not really sure on that, just thinking back to my old RC car days with brushed motors... running in reverse would sometimes chip the brush.

Aloha

FABRICATOR

They use brushes but they run on slip rings with a continuous surface, not segmented like a generator or motor. Interesting question, but I too would asss-u-me it would not matter. All the fans I've seen are centrifigual but some do have angled blades. I would try it and include a simple air flow test.

Bulldozer

I would think a fan sucking air past/through the alternator would work about as well as one blowing at it, no?

Rprice

thanks for all the help. i still dont know if i will be putting it on backwards depending on clearance but i now know i have the option. thanks.

movindirt

Wham Spore
I would think a fan sucking air past/through the alternator would work about as well as one blowing at it, no?
I think it is more a issue of the fan blade moving air properly in a reverse direction. And pushing or pulling air through something to cool it may have different effects due to things like cavitation and turbulence. If you do run your alt backwards I would just run a flow test as FABRICATOR mentioned to insure air is flowing through the alt. Excessive heat will kill any alternator!